Author Topic: Why did my CCleaner free version 2.34.xxx, auto update?  (Read 17905 times)

Offline Mike23

Why did my CCleaner free version 2.34.xxx, auto update?
« on: March 30, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »
Hi....

I am most unhappy that my old/er version of CCleaner was automatically updated to v5.41.6446 today, after I started my PC.

Who in H$&# gave you/them the right or permission to do that?

Since CCleaner FREE, v2.34.xx does not have that ability, I take it that AVAST did the update.....

WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!

&....What's with all these new settings & options & the terrible "new flat/faded look?"

If I wanted the latest version of CCleaner, I would have checked & D/L'd it myself.

How much more underhanded & intrusive are you, AVAST, going to get?

You are an Anti-Virus program....NOT an automatic updater of any of MY or anyone elses programs running on their M/C's.

I do NOT need any of the NEW features &/or options.

A "cookie" manager/cleaner that lists all/many of the sites I've been to & wants to clean them all?

What else are you scanning on MY damn M/C?

(To the AVAST Devs......Please remove the ability for your AV program to automatically check for so called, "out dated" programs on your

customers M/C's....... WITHOUT their exclusive permission.)

This is NOT the "correct" way to proceed.

BTW....I did not have AVAST set to check for any "out dated" programs.

Why did you do that AGAINST MY wishes?

I will definitely NOT be recommending AVAST to anyone.....anymore.

"NOT HAPPY.....JAN!"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:59:41 PM by Mike23 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Why did my CCleaner free version 2.3.xxx, auto update?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 11:37:11 AM »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 12:04:16 PM »
You don't say what Avast version you have ?

The Software Updater, has CCleaner in its list of software to check for updates, the free version of Avast doesn't auto update software, that is only in paid versions.

If you are using a paid (or free) version of Avast, there is nothing to stop you opening the Software Update settings and having it Ignore certain programs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mike23

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 12:56:24 PM »
Hi Pondus, David...
Thanks for the replies.

Sorry that I forgot to include the relevant info.
WIN7 HP, 32 bit, running AVAST Free, v18.2.2328, Build 18.2.3825.307.
Defs, 180329.4.

I do not use any of the so called "features" included in AVAST.
Everything NOT needed is un-checked & that includes anything related to updating MY programs.

I have just posted on the CCleaner fora & will await their response as to why they decided it was best for me to update to the latest version.

Thank you both.

Regs, Mike..

ps. Edited to add... If it wasn't done through AVAST, then how did CCleaner know that I had the old/er version on MY....damn M/C?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:36:47 PM by Mike23 »

Offline ky331

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 01:30:56 PM »
I would like to confirm that the same thing happened to me... my CCleaner Free old version (it was something between 5.02 and 5.08, I'm not sure exactly which one) automatically updated itself two nights ago on my WinXP system to 5.41.   I wouldn't have known about it, except for an alert from WinPatrol that a new scheduled task was trying to be implemented.

In CCleaner, I had UNchecked all boxes related to automatically searching for updates, as well as for "monitoring" the system.   In avast, the Software Updater has automatic updates turned OFF.   Additionally, I believe I had specifically "told" the avast software updater to "ignore" CCleaner.

There is a thread in the CCleaner forum, where at least two other people have reported the same issue:  https://forum.piriform.com/topic/51439-ccleaner-free-updated-himself-and-restartmanager-in-windows-logs/

I can't say whether the update was implemented through CCleaner itself, or whether it was done through avast's software updater... but suffice it to say, with now 4 people having had this happen, it wasn't just a fluke/accident.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:19:10 PM by ky331 »
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Offline Mike23

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 02:34:40 PM »
Thank you for confirming the problem, ky331.
I saw that other thread.

Well, "nukecad" replied & laid the blame right in AVAST's lap.

For ref; > https://forum.piriform.com/topic/51446-my-older-v23xx-auto-updatedwhy/

I only use the 4 basic "options", as I do NOT want an AV program to check for any "Out-dated" programs on my M/C.
I have quite a few that will never need or require updating.

The hide of AVAST to do that!

Regs, Mike..

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 03:20:32 PM »
Sorry, but that doesn't really change what I said, the Avast Free version doesn't have an Auto Update function in the Software Updater, function.  Neither does it check for all software updates just a small subset of programs (I have just 6 in my list, including CCleaner) and can as has been said disabled/uninstalled

The how to remove link by 'nukecad'  is to a topic from 2015, much has changed since then in both Avast and Piriform CCleaner, but the
Quote from: extract from that link
Software Updater runs in two modes – manual, and automatic. Manual mode is used in Avast Free Antivirus, Avast Pro Antivirus, and Avast Internet Security. It means you have to click on each software and perform an update. While automatic mode, available only in Avast Premier, takes care of everything and you don’t need to do anything.

So either this is done outside of the Avast Software Updater (if you are saying you haven't got it installed), check the Components section to ensure it isn't installed.

Or avast have taken the decision to update CCleaner, neither of which I can't comment on as an Avast user.  So this needs input from the Avast Team.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mike23

Re: Why did my CCleaner free version 2.34.xxx, auto update?
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 03:54:08 PM »
Hi David,
I have exactly the same "features" as you have shown.

The "Software Updater" is definitely not installed.
It's in the list but greyed out, along with all the other crapola..

As I mentioned, I do not need an AV program to check for out-dated programs or take care of my cookies.

Would be grateful if the "AVAST Team" could take a look & remove the totally, un-necessary "CCleaner" checker/updater.

Why should "they" care what vintage of software I run?
It's my M/C....NOT theirs.

In other words...."Keep your sticky mits off my M/C."
Thanks for your assistance, David.

Will see how "they" respond.

Regs, Mike..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 04:04:31 PM by Mike23 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 03:59:16 PM »
You're welcome.

Offline Mike23

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 04:06:50 PM »
& now,
Back to my other job of moderating the nutters at mozillaZine.

Ta muchly..

Offline KDibble

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 05:48:22 PM »
I am also having this issue. Using avast! Business Protection (Endpoint Protection 8.x with SOA). There is no "software updater" option in the SOA console. The clients have that option but it is disabled. So it's entirely out of my control.

We have CCleaner installed on several machines because the vendor who sold us those machines included it. We have NEVER used it. It was installed several years ago and we have NEVER updated it. It was not set to run on boot-up by the vendor or by us. Not only was the software suddenly updated today, it was set to run on boot-up by the mysterious "update" process.

I agree with others who have said that this is entirely inappropriate.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 01:24:34 AM »
I've reported this on the Developers channel.
Remember, this is the weekend so don't expect an immediate reply.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Mike23

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 03:51:26 PM »
Hi Bob,
Thanks for that.
Will await their response to this totally un-necessary invasion of MY & the others M/C's.

Offline Mike23

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 11:52:29 AM »
Well,
It's been 4 days & still no response from the Devs.

Any way to ask them again.....politely of course?

I have blocked any out going requests etc., by CCleaner in my Comodo firewall.

I hope "they" can come up with a "fix" for this invasion of our M/C's without our knowledge or permission

&, do NOT do anything like that.....again.

Ta muchly.

Regs, Mike..

Offline Mike23

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 06:31:39 PM »
Hi y'awll...
What can one say?

It's been over a week & still no response from "The Team" as to why, "they" decided what was best for me & MY M/C.

I would still like to know exactly what else "they" are using "their" Anti-virus program for in regards to totally un-wanted &
un-necessary silently scanning of MY damn M/C.

Please.....Just go back to being a good Anti-virus program & cut out all the other crapola.

It's slooooowww to load the UI & just chock full of bloatware.

Still waiting for a reply of some kind.

Ta muchly.

Regs, Mike..