Author Topic: Why did my CCleaner free version 2.34.xxx, auto update?  (Read 18014 times)

Offline ky331

Re: Why did my CCleaner free version 2.3.xxx, auto update?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 04:48:40 AM »
I manually reverted CCleaner on my XP system from 5.41 back to 5.09.   It stayed that way for a few days... until just now, when I updated avast (via internal updater) from 17.x to 18.3... and CCleaner was "simultaneously" updated to 5.41 again.
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Offline Mike23

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 12:21:48 PM »
Hi ky331,
Thanks for the update.

Apparently, AVAST are taking it upon themselves to perform the updating process,
despite any or all attempts to NOT update "our" programs with NO notification & against our will/s.

Mine just updated to that version as well, even though I had the CCleaner.exe/updater blocked by my COMODO firewall.
or am I mistaken?

Trouble I have now is, that AVASt UI will not open correctly.
It just displays as a totally blank, white screen.

A "Repair" does absolutely nothing.
I am in the process of an Un-install, Clean up the leftover crap, (with their tool), going off-line etc., etc., etc.

Just another "stuff-up" by the AVAST team....methinks.

When are "they" going to go back & just become a good Anti-virus program?

That's what I would like to know.

Regs, Mike..

[edit]
Well, after much "stuffing around", I am now able to see the UI & check all my original settings.
I must admit though, that COMODO did have a small hand in why AVAST was not opening.
Anyway, shesa apples again.
:)
[/edit]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:11:04 PM by Mike23 »

Offline ky331

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 02:54:37 PM »
In my case, I used avast's INTERNAL updater to update from 17.x to 18.3, and so there was no warning/prompts about allowing/denying CCleaner's update.   I'm wondering if, had I done a COMPLETE install of avast, if there would have been an option/offer to accept/decline CCleaner??
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Offline Mike23

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 04:08:06 PM »
Well, during the complete removal & re-installation process,
there was no inkling or reference to CCleaner.

I do not know what AVAST is scanning during the install or even when running "normally."

I just wish that it would not touch any of my installed programs.

Will see what response the "Team" come up with.

Regs, Mike..

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 06:45:26 PM »
At least two of my machines using Avast have done exactly that with CCleaner...AND AdBlockPlus.
New versions of ABP at least on my OS do not have the option of using right click, select an element to hide....and all this started with Avast program updates (free).

I disable all auto updates (including killing MS Auto Updates) so...somehow Avast snuck something in there on unsuspecting users.

With all the reboots, I wonder if they are getting a kickback on reboots?

Offline erick.pomada

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 05:20:58 AM »
Hi

I'm just check my pc and see that my ccleaner has automatically updated to version 5.41.6446 from my older version 4.03.xxx too just like other.

The only difference is I'm using AVG not Avast.

As I know Avast has already acquired AVG too so I'm assuming ccleaner automatically update happen to user that using AVG and Avast antivirus

Offline Mike23

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 01:04:08 PM »
NB:
AVAST has included a "CCleaner.updater.exe" to CCleaner.
I stopped it? by blocking it in my COMODO firewall.
Seems to work O.K. now, as it hasn't updated to version 5.41.xx or whatever.

So... Check your Program folder for CCleaner.updater.exe or similar.
If it's there, & it will be, block it in your firewall.
I don't trust AVAST to "re-install it" if you just "re-name" the updater.

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 02:46:13 PM »
I would have thought that if the updater is a separate file the more obvious solution is simply to delete it permanently. I've done that with other programs which arrogantly autorun their updater with no way to disable it otherwise. 

However if you delete it in some of those cases they regenerate the updater every time you use the program. That's why I suggest trying disabling rather than deleting it first. Something else I've also thought about is replacing it with a dummy file of the same name but quite frankly if a program is causing me that much annoyance I uninstall it.   

Check also in CCleaner's own Tools > Startup menu option that it has not been added under Scheduled Tasks. There should be a "CCleanerSkipUAC" there so you don't get the UAC (User Account Control) dialogue box every time you launch CCleaner but if there is a CCleaner updater task try either disabling or deleting it.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 05:31:29 PM »
Hi guys,
let me please answer some questions here. Outdated software is quite hard to maintain - in Avast, we still support Avast Antivirus product for XP despite the fact that only 5% of our costumers still use XP. Web servers (for updates, communication, ...) must still support old methods which were used in this product many many years ago. We have still some users on Avast v8 and we cannot 100% guarantee they are safe for the latest threats, because Avast v8 doesn't contain some new shields or technologies available on newer OSes.

We have decided to upgrade all outdated CCleaner versions (v1.xx - v5.20) to the latest version. Portable versions were excluded. The reason is that old CCleaner version may not work as expected for for the latest software (your CCleaner is old, but users expect it will work perfectly also for e.g. latest Chrome which is updated every 6 weeks), maintenance of the latest version is much more easier for both developers and support and also from possible security issues.

I would be glad if you try the latest version and report any feedback so we can work together to improve CCleaner product for all our users. Thanks!

Petr

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 05:43:53 PM »
NB:
AVAST has included a "CCleaner.updater.exe" to CCleaner.
I stopped it? by blocking it in my COMODO firewall.
Seems to work O.K. now, as it hasn't updated to version 5.41.xx or whatever.

So... Check your Program folder for CCleaner.updater.exe or similar.
If it's there, & it will be, block it in your firewall.
I don't trust AVAST to "re-install it" if you just "re-name" the updater.

I don't allow CCleaner to run on computer start and I don't allow it to inform me of updates.  I have had these settings right from the start of my use of CCleaner many years ago, see attached.   Whilst CCleaner is in the list of monitored software, it may notify me, but it has never autonomously  updated CCleaner, only if I instructed it to do so.  That said, I have never let CCleaner get so out of date that it may get updated automatically.

I periodically check to see if there are any updates and I also monitor the Avast Forum / General - >> UPDATES << topic. That is pretty good for a reminder of many programs I have installed rather than allow autonomous updates by programs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »
Hi guys,
let me please answer some questions here. Outdated software is quite hard to maintain - in Avast, we still support Avast Antivirus product for XP despite the fact that only 5% of our costumers still use XP. Web servers (for updates, communication, ...) must still support old methods which were used in this product many many years ago. We have still some users on Avast v8 and we cannot 100% guarantee they are safe for the latest threats, because Avast v8 doesn't contain some new shields or technologies available on newer OSes.

We have decided to upgrade all outdated CCleaner versions (v1.xx - v5.20) to the latest version. Portable versions were excluded. The reason is that old CCleaner version may not work as expected for for the latest software (your CCleaner is old, but users expect it will work perfectly also for e.g. latest Chrome which is updated every 6 weeks), maintenance of the latest version is much more easier for both developers and support and also from possible security issues.

I would be glad if you try the latest version and report any feedback so we can work together to improve CCleaner product for all our users. Thanks!

Petr

By the same reasoning the problem is that some us of want to and indeed need to use older software that is not being updated, older Windows and ESR browser versions come to mind.

Because of that isn't there the potential that a new version of CCleaner may not work as it is supposed to for the same sort of reasons? Fewer people might now be using Windows XP as their primary OS but I'd bet plenty have it and other Windows OS running dual boot or on virtual machines along with older programs/hardware that only work or work best when using 'outdated' software. Such systems are actually kept working and more secure by not allowing changes, particularly updates.

They might even have their computer system deep frozen so it returns to that fixed state on every boot. That was one solution recommended when support for Windows XP ended.

The point is why force updates on people who do not want them whether their objections are valid or not? If using an older version of CCleaner causes issues its their problem to sort out.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 02:30:12 PM by Cluster-Lizard2014 »

Offline digmor crusher

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2018, 07:28:33 PM »
Avast should not be forcing anyone to update anythng on their own computer, their computer their choice, period. If Avast wants people to know an update is availabe simply have box pop up indicataing this and let them decide. This is exactly why Avast"s reputation has been trending downward for some time now.

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 02:56:59 PM »
Agree very much.

Checking for updates and informing us of such I can live with, especially if even that option has an opt out. That is what CCleaner has done for the 8 years I've been using it. With the exception of the few times where a new CCleaner update caused those opt out user settings to be ignored (quickly fixed in later updates) I've had almost nothing to complain about.

CCleaner has always just done what it is supposed to do, does not nag you to update if you do not want it too and older versions, used for whatever reason, simply do not cause problems anyway. The OP's long term use of version 2.3xxx, apparently without issue, is more good evidence of that. 

Forcing updates on users is a detestable practice and after last year's debacle with the trojan infected official 32 bit installer you would have thought AVAST might have learned something. Apparently not.       

Offline Mike23

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »
@ pk...
You wrote...
let me please answer some questions here. Outdated software is quite hard to maintain...

We have decided to upgrade all outdated CCleaner versions (v1.xx - v5.20) to the latest version.

What gives you or anyone else, the right to automatically update any program I choose to run on MY M/C?
Old or not & without any kind of notification (or option to not have it updated) of doing so?

&.....The most important aspect of this intrusion is this...

"They" actually silently, stealthily & sneakily installed an .exe file onto our M/C's with no prior knowledge or notification of any kind.
Talk about watching out for malware & viri invading our M/C's.

You are just an AV program for C$^&$@*'s sake!

Just NOT on, chum.

&....Why the reference to Google's Chrome browser?
I wouldn't touch it if you paid me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

@ Cluster-Lizard2014,

Many thanks for your support re; ....
The point is, why force updates on people who do not want them whether their objections are valid or not?
If using an older version of CCleaner causes issues its their problem to sort out.

@ digmor crusher,
Avast should not be forcing anyone to update anythng on their own computer, their computer their choice, period.

Just to keep you all "updated"..... (Sorry, but I could not resist.)
I am now running my old faithful CCleaner v2.34.xxxx & it's performing perfectly.
In all the years that I've been using it, I have never had any reason to hit that
"Check for updates" button at the lower RHS.
(Luckily, I keep the old .exe's around.....JIC.)

To the AVAST Team.....
Just keep your sticky fingers out of my/our M/C's.
Thank you.

I have never had any kind of "nasty" on my M/C since I started in 2003/4.

AVAST....Just go back to being a good AV program, like you used to be & leave our computers to us.

(I'm not going to start on how slooow the new AVAST program is to open. All that un-needed bloatware.)
&...What's with the "Web Cam Shield" & "Driver Updater"?
A small piece of black insulation tape will stop the camera dead or simply, turn it off.
For goodness sake, you're an anti-virus program......What else have you got in store for us lowly users?

Thanks muchly.

Regs, Mike.. 

ps. To all concerned...
If you re-name or simply delete the CCleaner updater, AVAST may just recreate the file & keep on updating it against your wishes.
Best to block it in your firewall. That will stop it cold.
Good luck. :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:07:41 PM by Mike23 »

Offline erick.pomada

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
Hi guys,

Petr

Since you said Avast is the one updating ccleaner older version to the latest. then i assume its safe to say that AVG did the same right?
i found this thread while searching on google about this problem, tried to ask to avg support but no respond or confirmation from them :(