Author Topic: Why did my CCleaner free version 2.34.xxx, auto update?  (Read 17902 times)

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

Re: Why did my CCleaner free version 2.3.xxx, auto update?
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2018, 01:07:46 AM »
That's the creed of the negative utilitarian  - we can't please everyone so we'll just please the majority and those in the minority who aren't happy can be ignored. That attitude too often leads down the slippery slope to paternalism, authoritarianism or worse.  We know what's good for you and if you don't agree with us you're wrong.   

The ideal should be not to annoy anyone and the easiest way that can be done in this case is by offering choice. In other words set the default option to update CCleaner automatically but in the Settings provide two other choices 1). auto check only for updates/install if wanted or 2). not update at all.

A simple solution, a minimal change from the way CCleaner has always handled updates and one which satisfies everyone.   

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2018, 01:38:59 AM »
That's the creed of the negative utilitarian  - we can't please everyone so we'll just please the majority and those in the minority who aren't happy can be ignored. That attitude too often leads down the slippery slope to paternalism, authoritarianism or worse.  We know what's good for you and if you don't agree with us you're wrong.   

The ideal should be not to annoy anyone and the easiest way that can be done in this case is by offering choice. In other words set the default option to update CCleaner automatically but in the Settings provide two other choices 1). auto check only for updates/install if wanted or 2). not update at all.

A simple solution, a minimal change from the way CCleaner has always handled updates and one which satisfies everyone.
As usual, appease everyone and satisfy no one. It must be nice to live in a fantasy world.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Mike23

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2018, 01:58:12 PM »
@ Bob,
You have your way of doing things & everyone else has theirs.

Why silently, sneakily, force a program to automatically update, just because "they" think it's better & safer?

As I mentioned, I've never had any kind of malware on my M/C since I started, way back in 2004.

&, No-one is "living in a fantasy world" as you put it.

This is real life with real consequences.

If AVAST had said that they were going to consider adding, no, installing an ".exe" file to auto-update my CCleaner, with the option to NOT do so, then people, given that choice, may have "Opted out" of the "Forced" update.

CCleaner is a FREE program with strictly MANUAL updates, (or it used to be so. Thankfully, my version still is.), if required, simply by pushing that little button at the bottom RHS.... marked thusly > "Check for updates."

Not a good way to run an A/V Company.

AVAST.....Lift your game.

ps. Bob, back on "18-04-2018, 08:00:36", you said...

At least Avast offer you one.

NO! They did NOT offer any kind of choice.
It was a "forced update" against our wishes with NO option NOT to update.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:14:07 PM by Mike23 »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Why did my CCleaner free version 2.34.xxx, auto update?
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2018, 07:12:14 PM »
I take it that the subject of this topic is the forced update of CCleaner by Avast.
  • Point A:  To use any legal version of Avast, one must obtain a legal copy of their license.
  • Point B:  User is entitled to use their copy of Avast for the duration of their license.
  • Point C:  User can use Avast but cannot prevent changes to the software they do not like or care for since they do not own their software but own said license instead.
Avast should update any outdated software just on principle alone; outdated software can/does pose security risks to the user. 

Should avast be held responsible for malware or security breaches from third-party software residing on a users system?  That is the underlying question.

See attached below:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Mike23

Re: Why did my CCleaner free version 2.34.xxx, auto update?
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2018, 01:58:29 PM »
@ mchain,

Just because AVAST purchased Piriform & CCleaner etc.,
does NOT give them or anyone else, the right to update any program on my M/C or anyone else's
without the users permission.

(Please note, that I do not have any of the other "bloatware" installed &/or running on my M/C.)
(If I want to check for updates, I will do so, manually.)

I believe that you just quoted what AVAST Co. can do with their AVAST A/V & no other program.

I do not want any program, especially an A/V program, to update another on my M/C.
Avast should update any outdated software just on principle alone; outdated software can/does pose security risks to the user. 
That is my problem, if & when anything arises......NOT AVAST's.
The same answer applies to your 2nd similar question as well.
Should avast be held responsible for malware or security breaches from third-party software residing on a users system?

&, Regarding your Point C...
...User can use Avast but cannot prevent changes to the software they do not like or care for since they do not own their software but own said license instead.
That, pertains to AVAST A/V....& nothing else that I choose to run on my M/C.

What an underhanded, sneaky way to run a Company.

I have already stopped recommending AVAST & AVG to all my friends.
I do NOT want them to go through this fiasco or anything else that AVAST dream up.

Regs, Mike..
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:01:29 PM by Mike23 »

Offline KDibble

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2018, 05:42:28 PM »

As usual, appease everyone and satisfy no one. It must be nice to live in a fantasy world.

Let's just deal in facts, please.

It is a fact that in at least some jurisdictions, this kind of behavior on the part of avast! is illegal. It is legally the same as if a cybercriminal used malware to change the contents of someone's computer. Regardless of what some avast! employees or "evangelists" (which may not be the same thing) believe, it is simply illegal. It cannot be done legally. Those who are harmed, if they live in jurisdictions where this is illegal, should file criminal charges.

I, for one, would like to hear a formal response from an actual, identified avast! employee regarding this issue.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2018, 05:50:12 PM »

It is a fact that in at least some jurisdictions, this kind of behavior on the part of avast! is illegal. It is legally the same as if a cybercriminal used malware to change the contents of someone's computer. Regardless of what some avast! employees or "evangelists" (which may not be the same thing) believe, it is simply illegal. It cannot be done legally. Those who are harmed, if they live in jurisdictions where this is illegal, should file criminal charges.

I, for one, would like to hear a formal response from an actual, identified avast! employee regarding this issue.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=217752.msg1457538#msg1457538
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline KDibble

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2018, 07:03:28 PM »

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=217752.msg1457538#msg1457538

Thank you. That employee did acknowledge forced updates of CCleaner from installations of avast!

Now I would like to see a response from that employee, or another employee, regarding the fact that in some jurisdictions this is illegal behavior.

Specifically, in some countries no piece of software is allowed to modify a different piece of software residing on the same computer without explicit permission of the user in that instance.

It's not relevant that avast! owns CCleaner (or AVG, which is also forcing these updates). They are discrete, different, pieces of software. When I give consent for avast! to modify ITSELF on a computer, that does not convey permission to avast!, or to the company that owns avast!, to modify OTHER software on that computer. The permissions must be granted individually and separately.

And, as a technical issue: I had CCleaner set to never run on start-up. (CCleaner was installed as shovelware on computers we bought from a vendor several years ago. We did not uninstall it but we never used it either, and never configured it to run on start-up or as a service.) avast!'s forced update not only updated CCleaner to a new version, it interfered with my configuration settings for that completely separate piece of software and caused it to run on start-up.

That is no different, legally, from some cyber-criminal installing malware on my computer that is configured to run on startup.

Technically, there was no reason why this had to be done. avast! could have simply inserted the update bits into the CCleaner software without causing it to run on startup. The impression has been created that avast! did this to market CCleaner, by causing it to run on start-up and pop up self-advertising messages.

So I would like to hear a substantive, legally and techically-oriented reply from a responsible avast! employee on these points.

Thanks.