Author Topic: How long time for a thorough scan ?  (Read 2805 times)

Daffy

How long time for a thorough scan ?
« on: June 22, 2006, 05:18:33 PM »
I did get a trojan, and I removed it to chest, deleted it after a reboot. (just in case.)

Then I scheduled a thorough scan whit scan archive files checked.

Started the scan. After 3 hours Avast has done 9.5 Gb. Thats a loooooong time for me. Got impatient and stopped the scan.

I have done such a scan before, and it used to be 1½-2 hours. So why the long time?

I only want to scan 30Gb.  How long should that take?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How long time for a thorough scan ?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 05:56:10 PM »
The through scan with archives you selected so it is going to be quite long considering the data you have. Another factor is your system specification which you don't mention.

Archives by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them, before that happens avasts Standard Shield should have scanned them. Through is also by its design very through and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate.

I have only ever done a through scan with archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.

It may have been better to target specific folders (On-Demand scan, Folder selection), such as the one where the virus was found or ones that malware tries to install stuff like the, program files, documents and settings,  system folders, etc. This would keep the duration under control
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Daffy

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 06:36:28 PM »
Oops. Sorry for inadequate information. My fault.

(AMD athlon 1800+, 512 ram. XP Home SP2.)

But you have allready given me an answer anyway. It takes time. :o

A standard scan whitout archive, takes 42 min. Just for information.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 07:06:03 PM »
Your system is close to mine so it doesn't lack the performance that might effect scans.

You should be OK with the Through with archives folder selection scans I mentioned for checks after infection and Standard without archives for routine scans. I do a weekly Standard without archives scan as part of my regular weekly system maintenance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Daffy

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 07:22:17 PM »
Thanks.
I wanted to do a through scan with arcvie, because off that trojan.

My concern is that I have downloaded a zip, unpacked it, and run it.
No response from avast. ( this was January 2006 )
I too, scan weekly, whitout archive, still no response.

Yesterday I wanted to scan with archive, just for the fun off it, and suddenly there was these two trojans, both in the zip and in the unpacked files.

Thats why.