Poll

Which ewido You liked more and why?

Older v 3.5
4 (23.5%)
Latest v 4.0
13 (76.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: New ewido 4.0  (Read 22085 times)

mauserme

Re: New ewido 4.0
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 06:18:38 AM »
I just started using 4.0 today.

It felt a little easier on resources on the 4 computers I've scanned, so as long as the detections are still there my vote goes to 4.0

New_Age

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 06:54:16 AM »
I have been using it for a few days now and all it found for me were 12 cookies Wow...  ::)

drhayden1

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 01:31:47 PM »
been using the full version 4.0 since yesterday and it hasn't found ANYTHING 8)

i'd rather it found nothing than a-whole bunch of stuff, at least it means my system is clean after running this and the other  utilities i have  ::)

just hope the 4.0 turns out to be a good program,i like the interface and some of the options :D

have a good one avast! world  :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 01:34:59 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 04:54:13 PM »
There have been a lot of positive comments regarding Ewido on this forum, but when I read reviews elsewhere, I run into comments like this:

http://www.download.com/Ewido-Security-Suite/3003-8022_4-10543926.html?tag=lst-0-1

Is adding Ewido to the mix, (and discontinuing the use of TeaTimer) a real advantage, or is Ewido just a fad amongst the avast! forum people?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 03:15:15 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 05:23:42 PM »
Hi OrangeCrate
Is adding Ewido to the mix, (and discontinuing the use of TeaTimer) a real advantage, or is Ewido just a fad amongst the avast! forum people?
We all have our favorites just as we have favorite Browsers.  Much of this is user preference.
If what you're using has kept you safe, IMHO, there isn't any reason for change.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 06:10:35 PM »
Quote from: OrangeCrate
Well the Editor only gives it three stars but the overall user reviews give it 4 stars so I don't think it is only avast forum people who like it. These reviews are obviously for 3.5 so we will have to wait and see how 4.0 fares.

However, in these forums when Ewido has been recommended to try, it has been because there has been a possible trojan on the users system and for the majority of cases Ewido has detected and eliminated the trojan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 07:06:13 PM »
Bob, David, thanks for the comments.

I went ahead and installed 4.0, and ran the scan. It picked up 6 tracking cookies the others had not, so that's cool.

However, since installation, my computer has slowed to a crawl. Though I have a very fast internet connection, it could be my old box -  1.4 GHz Celeron with 384 MB of Ram, or it could be because I left TeaTimer activated, and the Ewido Resident Shield is turned on by default.

Unless there would be compelling advice otherwise, my long-term plan would be to keep TeaTimer activated, and go with the free version of Ewido as an on demand scanner when the trail period expires. Short term, should I turn off the Ewido Resident Shield, or TeaTimer?

Thoughts?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 07:20:35 PM »
After the 14 trial period the Resident function and auto updates will be disabled and you have to manually update and use the on-demand scan function. Which is basically what I do, update the signatures and run a scan as a part of my regular weekly system maintenance.

Tea Timer is doing something entirely different so it really isn't possible to compare.
What is the Resident TeaTimer?

The Resident TeaTimer is a new tool of Spybot-S&D which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:

- be informed, when the process tries to start again
- automatically kill the process
- or generally allow the process to run There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

I don't have TeaTimer enabled on my system, I can do without the interference and since I'm using the version 4.0 trial of Ewido (and previously 3.5), shortly the resident element will die leaving me with the on-demand side only.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PigDog

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 09:30:17 PM »
I have SoftForYou keylogger installed on my system because my girlfriend is constantly forgetting login details of all the cr*p sites she messes with.  Ewido is the only tool that has ever identified it, until I ran Ewido I never could work out how it hid itself so well.

PigDog

drhayden1

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 10:33:12 PM »
one question on ewido 4.0  ::)

do i need to have the resident shield running in the background(i have the full version)if i have spy sweeper running or does anyone know if it will conflict with other programs as of yet,say in/out firewall and others?
wonder if ewido resident shield is heavy on your resources? ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 10:36:30 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 10:39:07 PM »
I think spy sweeper is enough... but, why did you buy ewido if you don't need it?
If you're using the trial version, ok, you can try if it conflicts with spy sweeper. I think not, but, of course, you'll use more system resources.
In my tests Ewido resident shield hasn't that much impact, although I just use it while in trial period, no more, now only on-demmand  :-\
The best things in life are free.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 11:37:29 PM »

However, since installation, my computer has slowed to a crawl. Though I have a very fast internet connection, it could be my old box -  1.4 GHz Celeron with 384 MB of Ram, or it could be because I left TeaTimer activated, and the Ewido Resident Shield is turned on by default.

I shut off the Start with Windows option, and unchecked the Resident Shield and automatic update options, and my box sped back up again.

I don't think it's the program that slowed it down, just that my amount of resources was being taxed to the limit.

I'll just let the trial time out, and then keep it as an additional layer of protection as an on demand scanner, as others have suggested.

Thanks to all for your help and comments.

Edit: 6/22 - I have changed the signature below, to reflect the addition of Windows Defender and Ewido, and the deletion of TeaTimer.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 03:19:14 PM by OrangeCrate »

drhayden1

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 11:38:36 PM »
hi again tech ;)

don't know why i paid for it-guess it was like a kid going into a candy store-gotta have it thing-an impulse,i guess. :o
you are right!i have never seen it pop up and alert me or anything like spy sweeper does(that one program i am glad i paid for) ;D
i will turn off the resident shield and just use spy sweeper as real time protection(at least i  know its doing what it is supposed to do) 8)

have a good one tech and avast! world :)

timcan

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2006, 01:45:26 AM »
http://www.ewido.net/en/compatibility/
@drhayden1 according to link above it's compatible with spysweeper. :)

drhayden1

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2006, 03:11:01 AM »
thanks for the info on spy sweeper on the ewido website--three stooges(the best!!)i like the avatar above :o
another question,i downloaded the new netscape browser 8.1(used netscape a while back)and works with web shield but when i ran a scan with ewido it found over 1500 of these::
mozilla.104:C:\Documents and Settings\drh\Application Data\Netscape\NSB\Profiles\hyx8lzdd.default\cookies-47.txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned

does netscape have a lot of tracking cookies or what and is it safe to use since it's only tracking cookies and ewido is cleaning and removing them ::) ??? :o
Ccleaner and other cleaning app's should remove them also :D
i think i will  leave the shield on since spy sweeper has only as far as i know- an i.e. tracking cookie shield ::)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 03:31:47 AM by drhayden1 »