Author Topic: What is Avast Doing?!  (Read 1683 times)

Offline ellsinore

What is Avast Doing?!
« on: April 02, 2018, 06:17:43 PM »
I have updates set to manual because I'm limited to 8GB data per month (using a wi-fi hotspot from my phone) and the rest of the time I'm on dial-up. 

For the last twelve hours, Avast has taken over my internet connection, and I can't figure out what it's doing or how to stop it.  300MB, so far, and still going. 

I checked my update settings, and it's still set to "manual" so what is it DOING?!  I need my computer back!

REDACTED

Re: What is Avast Doing?!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 10:37:27 AM »
Install Avast as minimal install to avoid bloatware.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What is Avast Doing?!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 11:36:40 AM »
I believe you are using the on-line installation file ?

Your best option would probably to have downloaded the complete off-line-installation file instead of the on-line installation file (small 6.5MB ish stub installer) this downloads everything but bit by bit.

Direct download locations https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=216700.0, choose whichever off-line installation it is you want to install. 

Since you are on dial-up and limited download via your phone wifi hotspot, which is likely to be slower than a full broadband connection.  I wonder if you can't use your local Library to get connected and download over a faster broadband connection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security