Author Topic: Finding the infected message in an Eudora mailbox  (Read 1351 times)

REDACTED

Finding the infected message in an Eudora mailbox
« on: July 21, 2016, 05:28:46 AM »
I'm (still) using Eudora as my email client. Eudora mailboxes contain multiple messages. I think the format is the same as Outlook Express. Avast 2016 free delete the entire mailbox for the year 2003 with the error messge
    File C:\ ... historical.fol\... 2003.mbx|>PartNo_0#1100134690 is infected by HTML:Iframe-OV [Trj], Deleted

Is there some way I can find the individual message so that I can delete it? I can restore the deleted mailbox from my backup. Or can I tell Avast to not delete it? If it's been around since 2003, it's not much of a threat.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Finding the infected message in an Eudora mailbox
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 08:10:06 AM »
As Eudora stores the messages in 1 file, it is not possible for avast just to remove the infected (or perhaps better, detected) message.

Offline Beamer1

Re: Finding the infected message in an Eudora mailbox
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 06:29:55 PM »
This is how I dealt with the problem:
- Create a new mailbox I used the same name as the one that the "problem" was found in and added SAFE to the end of it
- Copy about half of the emails to the new box
- Close Eudora
- Scan again. You can scan just that folder by right clicking that folder and choosing "SCAN <folder name>
-If the Original folder scans as clean, then scan the Safe folder If it comes up with the "problem" then...
-Copy a small number (I used a month) back to the original, scanning each time you do, until you see that the problem has moved. By using a finite number of emails (month) You can narrow down where the problem email is.

It's a bit tedious but it does work... The scans will get shorter as you narrow down the culprit.. Once you have found it (or not, sometimes it just goes away - I suspect a strange flaw in either Avast or Eudora)  copy everything back to it's original home and delete the extra folder
I hope this works for you too.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:07:58 PM by Beamer1 »