Author Topic: AvastUI.exe * 32 always uses 25% of cpu's resources.  (Read 14465 times)

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
Re: AvastUI.exe * 32 always uses 25% of cpu's resources.
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 09:07:16 AM »
Hi lanshark4972,
I found 'Dumps of avastui.zip' folder.
It looks like there was DataScan task running in background.
To conffirm it please disable avast self defense for a while and rename  aswDataScan.dll -> aswDataScan.dll.org (C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswDataScan.dll) than enable self defense
and restart Avast UI. 
Let us know if it helped you.
Thank you

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 08:31:40 PM »
It looks like there was DataScan task running in background.
To conffirm it please disable avast self defense for a while and rename  aswDataScan.dll -> aswDataScan.dll.org (C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswDataScan.dll) than enable self defense and restart Avast UI.  Let us know if it helped you. Thank you.

You nailed it, kwiq; thanks! I did what you suggested, rebooted, and that rascal avastui is nowhere to be seen. Moving right along: is there any problem with aswDataScan.dll being disabled?

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »

Yesterday:

You nailed it, kwiq; thanks! I did what you suggested, rebooted, and that rascal avastui is nowhere to be seen. Moving right along: is there any problem with aswDataScan.dll being disabled?

Today:

* AvastUI.exe now runs only 3 seconds or so, then quits with no errors, both at boot and when manually clicked.
* The Avast tray icon then remains but disappears upon mouseover so I have no way to see the UI--if it is running...
* Avastsvc.exe continues to run as a task, but Task Manager shows no cpu usage when I check it.
* AvLaunch.exe does nothing that I can see, and shows as v18.3.3860.0

Questions:

* Is Avast providing me active protection now?
* How do I get to my UI?

Using XP SP3 up-to-date & Avast Free 18.3.3860.316

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 09:01:13 AM »
Hi lanshark4972,
you can always rename aswDataScan.dll back and see if AvastUI.exe runs.
 start  "c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe"  process.

It seems that AvastUI.exe depends on aswDataScan.dll :-(.
I will ask my workmate how to disable datascan and not break UI.
Thank you   

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »
Thank you   

Thank you, kwiq; remember that, in spite of the title of this thread, avastui uses just about 100% of my cpu
, so reenabling aswDataScan.dll doesn't seem like a good idea. Let's hope that your workmate is successful.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 02:28:53 PM »
as am not using the PC for long time, i am going to remove avast, and will keep my computer use the built-in antivirus, (using windows 10) for 1 month and will reinstall again the avast after they fix this problem ( i hope )

jaffar

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »
Any news on this one? It is reported that latest Avast 18.5.2342 still has this issue.
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 09:34:11 PM »
Any news on this one? It is reported that latest Avast 18.5.2342 still has this issue.

I gave up because of Avast's slow responses and lack of a timely solution. I removed Avast and went looking for an antivirus solution that wouldn't eat up the cpu on my XP desktop. I tried and passed on several, including Avast's evil twin, AVG. In the end, I selected and am happy with a free cloud-based AV, whose name I won't divulge because, well, that wouldn't be right...

::)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 12:35:38 AM »

I gave up because of Avast's slow responses and lack of a timely solution. I removed Avast and went looking for an antivirus solution that wouldn't eat up the cpu on my XP desktop. I tried and passed on several, including Avast's evil twin, AVG. In the end, I selected and am happy with a free cloud-based AV, whose name I won't divulge because, well, that wouldn't be right...

Your computer, your decision.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 01:47:29 AM »
<snip quote>

One of my systems is XP Pro SP3 and I have never experienced this excessive CPU usage.  Obviously I have no idea of your installation (what components, other security based applications, etc.) so I can't test it.  My installations are very minimal the basic security shields and no others.

Be careful of cloud AV protection, as in how does it cater for off-line useage.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 05:41:55 AM »
Hi lanshark4972,
you can always rename aswDataScan.dll back and see if AvastUI.exe runs.
 start  "c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe"  process.

Thank you

Has there been a response to this regarding the aswDataScan.dll file?  I too am experiencing 100%CPU usage on a Windows XP SP3 laptop.

Thanks,
Leif W.

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 08:22:17 AM »
Hi LeifW,
there is an option Enable=1 in DataScan section file: C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini
Try to disable self defense and override it to Enable=0
Thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2018, 09:59:12 AM »
Hi LeifW,
there is an option Enable=1 in DataScan section file: C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini
Try to disable self defense and override it to Enable=0
Thank you

I'm interested in why this might effect some XP systems but not others ?

Also, considering AvastUI.exe is meant to be for the control of the UI, why is it apparently (CPU % usage) now involved in a security related function/required file, e.g. the aswDataScan.dll ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security