Author Topic: Google music blocked by Avast  (Read 6522 times)

REDACTED

Google music blocked by Avast
« on: February 01, 2017, 01:21:39 PM »
I'm trying to run the Google chrome extension for google play music and Avast is preventing it from running. How can I add an exception to allow the Extension Google Play Music to run without having to deactivate Avast?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Google music blocked by Avast
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:45:34 PM »
Is there a message from avast?  If so, what does it say

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 10:54:42 PM »
This post may be very old but it is still relevant today. I can conceive that a company can't have some sort of problems with lesser known network connections to servers. How is it that this program is still blocking Google Play Music server connections? F!#king really!? Yep, same problem exists on macOS today with avast! 13.5. I have to disable web shield in order to allow connections for uploading to Google Music through Chrome. The error is "Can't establish a secure connection".

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:50:55 AM »
...The error is "Can't establish a secure connection"
Browser?  Secure connection is https:  Insecure connection is http:  Which is it?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 05:48:53 AM »
...The error is "Can't establish a secure connection"
Browser?  Secure connection is https:  Insecure connection is http:  Which is it?

Considering I stated that it was through the Chrome browser which defaults to https for connecting to all google services and that "Can't establish a secure connection" infers a secure socket layer, then take a guess.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 01:03:57 PM »
Adding *.google.com to the Server whitelist only allows the Google Play Music service through Chrome to connect securely. The avast! web shield still blocks the Google Play Music mini player from connecting securely which defeats the whole point of having the mini player because you still have to keep the Chrome browser open. And still nothing from any actual person who would have knowledge of a resolve. I'm not the first to have encountered this problem.

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 02:58:53 PM »
Hello,
We will investigate this. Thanks a lot for the report.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:06:51 PM by ondrej.kolacek »

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 03:33:20 AM »
Hello,
We will investigate this. Thanks a lot for the report.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

I decided to do another uninstall of avast! and reinstall. This time, before I ever opened up the Google Play Music mini player or in Chrome, I added the google domain to the server whitelist again. This time the mini player is not blocked. I do not know if it had anything to do with the uninstall, whitelisting again, or a combination of both. So, I've not duplicated this error with avast! after a couple of shutdowns and reboots.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 09:33:39 PM »
That's a great news! Thank you for sharing it with us.
We released an hotfix on Friday. Looks like it's working. No whitelisting is needed now. It should get fix automatically.
Sorry for inconvenience.
Quality is also a feature.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 07:00:02 PM »
That's a great news! Thank you for sharing it with us.
We released an hotfix on Friday. Looks like it's working. No whitelisting is needed now. It should get fix automatically.
Sorry for inconvenience.

Great to hear. I'm impressed and have to commend the developers on working a solution so quickly with a minor annoyance such as this one. Shows the dedication to me and anyone else reading this thread. Props to the moderators for passing on this information and to the programmers for the hotfix.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »
CHA05,

You will find the Avast team is very open to feedback here.

Regarding the issue, this is going to be something that is a challenge for all security software. How do you inspect the traffic if its encrypted? Currently doing a HTTPS man in the middle style scanner does have drawbacks, but is best solution currently available. Otherwise, it would bee too easy for a malware author to just hide the traffic in an HTTPS tunnel to avoid detection!

Cheers,
Mac
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay