Author Topic: Avast's abnormally high memory usage in Android app  (Read 3303 times)

REDACTED

Avast's abnormally high memory usage in Android app
« on: April 10, 2018, 07:34:01 PM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FdD6Oqf8pGAw8KIm2

The above screenshot is taken from CCleaner report. It shows Avast consuming over 400 Mb of memory. I've tried to google to see the comparison with other solutions and now feel a little frustrated over discrepancies found in the following report
https://www.geckoandfly.com/17030/android-antivirus-malware-security-app/

I wonder what is the reason behind such a high menory usage?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:36:22 PM by jbionic2010 »

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast's abnormally high memory usage in Android app
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »
Our app has some built-in features (antivirus, ram cleaner, unnecessary files cleaner, anti-theft etc.) that sadly require memory to run. Please be assured that we work on memory optimization but the app keeps evolving, and when we have an option to provide more features or shrink the memory usage, we rather go for offering more features to our users.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 10:46:16 PM »
I've also found RAM usage for Avast is not far off 400 Mb, which is unacceptably high for me, and way higher than the figures in that article. I also found Bitdefender a lot heavier than that article found.

Of the free apps that also have web protection, I found the lightest was Sophos Mobile Security. RAM was about the same as the article found, averaging around 120Mb, but CPU usage was a lot lower than in the article, averaging around 3 to 4% for me.

As for free apps without web protection, I found Panda Mobile Security to be incredibly light. About 6 MB memory usage and pretty much zero CPU usage.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 07:51:06 AM by n02paranoid »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 01:46:48 AM »
Our app has some built-in features (antivirus, ram cleaner, unnecessary files cleaner, anti-theft etc.)

Thanks, Tereza. Out of what you've listed I only use anti-virus with no ram cleaner, no unnecessary files cleaner and so on. So is there any way for Avast to limit the memory consumption based on the functionality that a user actually needs instead of feeding a user the whole bunch of functions that Avast has, but user doesn't require?

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 02:03:18 PM »
Not at the moment, but I will forward it to our team as a suggestion for improvement. I am afraid that is all I can do about it now.