Author Topic: Why Silent vs Normal in Update?  (Read 2437 times)

stwils

Why Silent vs Normal in Update?
« on: June 22, 2006, 06:23:29 PM »
I noticed someone recommends going to Settings, Update (Basic), Details - and checking "silent" vs "normal" so that you get notified of updates of the virus definitions.

I looked and mine is set to "normal."

Why would "normal" not notify you of update. Please explain a little to me.  Should I change mine to Silent?

stwils

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why Silent vs Normal in Update?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 07:23:46 PM »
The Normal running mode should show notifications, etc. Silent as it suggests would not display notifications. Changing it to silent wouldn't be advised if you want to be advised of updates.
It would also only notify you if an update happened rather than simply a check for updates, but over the last few days there has been a regular stream of VPS updates.

Have you read the avast help file (Settings, Update (Basic) Page ?
Running mode. This setting controls the behavior of manual updates. Automatic updates are always "silent".
  #Normal. When an update is performed, avast! will display a summary. Optionally, the progress of the update can be shown.
  #Silent. The updates will be performed completely on background, no messages will be shown.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 07:25:59 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

boromeo

Re: Why Silent vs Normal in Update?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 07:25:36 PM »
i'm just like umine is set to normal and i am bein notified with the blue square tellin me an update has been made and i thought that by putting it to silent i won't be tell about the updates but it seems that it's not that..so i am confused ??? and i join you to ask for some explanations.. ::) ;)