Author Topic: Through Scan + Archives scan too long...  (Read 2091 times)

JojoFrench

Through Scan + Archives scan too long...
« on: June 22, 2006, 10:14:56 PM »
Hello ! It's me again !

Yesterday i've started a personal-competition : Keep my computer Switched On in Windows as long as possible without errors (bsod or others), shutdown or reboot... And it work, since 2 days, 5 hours, 27 minutes !

In avast!, i finally get tired of the skins...  So i started avast with the Skin-free user interface (ashsimpl2.exe)... Then i ran a full through scan of my disk C: (with archive scan enabled) this afternoon, at 1 o' clock...
Now, it's 22:11 and avast! continues scanning... My disk is 40GB, with 20GB free, and avast! has only scanned 233000 files !!! in about 7 hours !!!

My question is Why is the scan so looooooong?
Note: i test my 256MB RAM PC, 1,64 ghz, 40gb, with many many programs running... + CrystalClear theme + Transparent Windows...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Through Scan + Archives scan too long...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 11:26:31 PM »
Because it is so through and all those archived have to be unzipped and scanned and that will result in far greater than the 20GB data size on your HDD. For XP you could probably use some more RAM otherwise there will be much use of virtual memory (swap file).

Archives by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them, before that happens avasts Standard Shield should have scanned them. Through is also by its design very through and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate.

I have only ever done a through scan with archives once, shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Through Scan + Archives scan too long...
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 11:38:48 PM »
I think the 256Mb of RAM only is the guilty boy here  8)
The best things in life are free.