Author Topic: Missing Export Certificate button  (Read 7078 times)

REDACTED

Missing Export Certificate button
« on: April 10, 2017, 12:04:51 PM »
Hello,

after using avast Endpoint Protection and Thunderbird yor a few years without problem, Thunderbird starts to request adding an exception rule for the pop3 certificate, again. During installation I exported the certificate from avast and imported it into Thunderbird, if I remember correctely.

But now the UI has changed and I cannot seem to find the export button.

If I go to (translated from the German version) Security --> Antivirus --> Mail Shield --> Settings, and walk through the tabs on the left (general, behaviour, SSL search, actions, ...) there is no button for the export of a certificate. Under SSL search I just can enable/disable the scan of SSL/TLS connections - that's it.

Not sure on how to remove the tomatoes from my eyes...

The other question would be why Thunderbird suddenly starts asking again. Did the provider (pop3.strato.de:995) really change the certificate as the window suggests?

Windows 7, avast 8.0.1609 with 170409-0, Thunderbird 45.8.0 (Update auf 52.0 not possible now, as Lightning does not work together with this new version).

Thanks in advance,
Klaus.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Missing Export Certificate button
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:47:52 PM »
In consumer versions it is : settings > components > mail shield > customize > SSL > export.

Just have to guess on why it is happening, but a thing that comes to mind is that avast has changed the certificate and the old one is not recognized/valid anymore.
Did the provider (pop3.strato.de:995) really change the certificate as the window suggests?
Even if strato did, it shouldn't have anything to do with it as avast uses its own certificate to scan SSL/TLS traffic.

On a note, I think you mean Silverlight and not lightning ;)

As I don't use AEP, I can't check things but hope this info is helping.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 02:35:06 PM »
Thanks Eddy,

I ran the avast UI as Administrator in order to check if parts for the non-admin users are hidden, but that's not the case. I also loaded the English language so that we can talk about the same menu items.

Also interesting, I cannot find anything around exporting the mail server certificates in any of the avast docs - I was searching the word export...

I hoped that avast changed the certificate as you suggested but I need the export button to correct this :-)

Well, I'm not using Silverlight (yet), but Lightning now is bundled with Thunderbird and is working fine.

Regards,
Klaus.

Offline Petki

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 02:27:37 PM »
Hi, do we have a solution? Because I have exactly the same problem -> Avast EPP + Thunderbird, Thunderbird needs certificate (because it claims that all my email accounts are untrusted), but I can not find any export button...

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 10:38:24 AM »
Hi, I try to explain from my german Windows PC. I open "Zertifikate" thats like certificates in my Windows 10. There I look in "vertrauenswürdige Herausgeber" that is like trusted owner. There is the certificate "AVAST Software s.r.o." With right click I can export the cert.
Now in Thunderbird open settings (Einstellungen), advanced (Erweitert), certificates (Zertifikate), manage certificates (Zertifikate verwalten). Then go to "Zertifizierungsstellen" and import the former exported cert. Trust the access to websites. You can see the import in Thunderbird here:
https://support.avast.com/de-de/article/91/

I hope I could help