Author Topic: What's up with ODBC? Can't install!  (Read 9049 times)

ezekielk

What's up with ODBC? Can't install!
« on: January 02, 2004, 10:06:04 PM »
I tried to install "avast! 4 Home/Pro" on my system, but right when I start to do this, up pops this error:

"You don't have ODBC drivers installed, or they are corrupted.
You can download them at http://www.microsoft.com/data/download2.htm."

Well, I can't find any ODBC driver to download there, or ANYWHERE on microsoft's site (I tried the search engine). And when I do a search on the Internet, I get so many references to different TYPES of ODBC drivers...yet nothing to allow me to download them.

So I can't install "avast", thanks to this ridiculous flaw. Guess I'll just stick with AVG; it's okay.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:What's up with ODBC? Can't install!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 10:47:36 PM »
Which is your OS? Do you have Microsoft Office installed?

The ODBC drivers are presente in new versions of Windows (and Office too). You can donwload the MDAC files (Microsoft Data Access Components) here or the last version 2.8 in Englishhere.

Hope this help.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 04:10:55 AM »
I had a similar problem with ODBC install with Outpost Firewall.  I use Win98 and the problem is that the older MDAC 2.5 works better on this older operating system than the newer versions of MDAC.

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8356

Now, following that link above will take you to a thread that will take you to another thread that will take you to the MDAC 2.5 Microsoft download page.  I'm not going to post that here because the threads have important information that is informative on this subject. ::)

I feel pretty strongly about this and should be answered in some type of message window during the install or on the website.

But, the older ODBC must be sufficient because I haven't had a single problem with install of Avast in regard to ODBC needs for Avast.  I do have Office 97 installed on my machine, which apparently comes with ODBC enough to install Avast.  Nevertheless, the older ODBC is not available any longer so MDAC 2.5 should be tried on Win98 at least and not the newer versions of MDAC.  In my opinion.  Did I make any sense at all? :-\

Also, if the Avast programmers decide to make a change that requires MDAC in the future I sure hope they let us know well in advance so we can already have the change in place for the install.  Despite popular opinion, there isn't that much difference between W98 thru W2000, XP, and so forth except for additional needed things like ODBC and MDAC that didn't come with the older versions of windows, and etc.  It's just a real pain the butt. :o

I'm so down on Microsoft right now that when my Win98 either bites the dust or gets hit by a car I'll probably go out and buy a Mac! 8)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 04:27:37 AM by Culpeper »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 12:06:51 PM »
I had a similar problem with ODBC install with Outpost Firewall.  I use Win98 and the problem is that the older MDAC 2.5 works better on this older operating system than the newer versions of MDAC. http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8356
Now, following that link above will take you to a thread that will take you to another thread that will take you to the MDAC 2.5 Microsoft download page.  I'm not going to post that here because the threads have important information that is informative on this subject. ::)

I fully agree with you, older versions would work better into Windows 98. The 2.5 is great! Sorry for suggesting the 2.8 at first time  :-\

But, the older ODBC must be sufficient because I haven't had a single problem with install of Avast in regard to ODBC needs for Avast.  I do have Office 97 installed on my machine, which apparently comes with ODBC enough to install Avast.  Nevertheless, the older ODBC is not available any longer so MDAC 2.5 should be tried on Win98 at least and not the newer versions of MDAC.  In my opinion.  Did I make any sense at all? :-\

Not only sufficient but better. I've tested the Offfice 95 and have problems with avast. The Office 97 works and the ODBC drivers are good.

I'm so down on Microsoft right now that when my Win98 either bites the dust or gets hit by a car I'll probably go out and buy a Mac! 8)

MacLover2000 will Mac loves this...  ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 10:41:10 PM by Technical »

ezekielk

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 08:48:44 PM »
 :D Thanks for everyone's input. (Love the skull-and-crossbones pirate logo, Culpeper!) I found a work-around in the antivirus docs, like so:

--
Don´t use the ODBC drivers and use XML. To setup avast! use XML, follow these steps:

Open the file avast4.ini located in C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\DATA in Notepad.
Find the section [COMMON]
In this section change the row
Database=ODBC to Database=XML
Save the file
Restart your computer
--

So I'm fine with this. BTW, I'm using Windoze 98...but use NO other microsoft product (inc. Office)...and that explains why I don't already have ODBC.

But since it suddenly morphed into MDAC, I have become somewhat scared to install the beast. So I'd best just leave it alone: if it ain't broke...

P.S.: I'll check here again, in case someone has a warning AGAINST using XML instead of the drivers.

Culpeper

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 08:56:30 PM »
Same here.  I have MDAC 2.8 installed on W98 because of a previous problem installing software that I didn't end up using because of the driver issues.  I decided to just leave the MDAC 2.8 alone on my machine because, like you said, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  The rollback on MDAC can be tricky.

That's funny, I just checked and mine is already set for XML.  Hope it stays that way.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 09:18:05 PM by Culpeper »

ezekielk

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 09:37:10 PM »
Culpeper posted:

<<Same here. I have MDAC 2.8 installed on W98 because of a previous problem installing software that I didn't end up using because of the driver issues.>>

Yes, you mentioned that before, suggesting Win98 users download a less-recent version of MDAC. And that suggested it's another one of M$'s sloppy packages, which I'm better
off without, if I can manage that.

<<That's funny, I just checked and mine is already set for XML. Hope it stays that way.>>

Oooops! You don't remember doing that yourself? AFAICT by default, Avast! installs as set for ODBC.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 09:42:01 PM by ezekielk »

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 09:47:49 PM »
No, that's funny I don't remember making that change at all :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 10:46:03 PM »
No, that's funny I don't remember making that change at all :-\

Maybe some hacker did for you  ;D
When things work, don't change them  8)

Culpeper

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 02:00:43 AM »
A very helpful hacker is something to be thankful for!

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 02:02:17 AM »
it's another one of M$'s sloppy packages
Then why use it? Switch to mac ;D
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

ezekielk

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 12:02:51 PM »
Ah, yes! Out of the frying pan and into the fire, eh?  :P

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 01:56:07 PM »
What is wrong with a mac?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay