Author Topic: Lost Master Password but avast will not let me create a new one.  (Read 2709 times)

REDACTED

I seem to have forgotten my master password even though am sure what I had put in was correct.  So uninstalled the component and reinstalled expecting to be asked to create a new master password but nope just asked for old one again.  I then uninstalled the whole of avast and reinstalled it but still no luck, so uninstalled password component once again but nope still asking for old password.  Oh rebooted when needed,  cleaned cache etc to ensure no bits left using both avast cleaner (paid version) and CCleaner. 

Is there any other way anyone can suggest I can reset my master password or somehow get passwords to accept the old password - which I am sure is correct.   Its paid version of passwords not the free one so not amused I cannot use this.

I don't particularly want to reinstall windows so I can use this but had a major problem with passwords a while ago - then it would not activate when I installed in a new laptop and took ages for avast to sort the problem but thought maybe just one glitch so still paying to use the product.

Anyone any ideas?   Thanks

REDACTED

Re: Lost Master Password but avast will not let me create a new one.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:39:56 PM »
When you create your master password they send you an e-mail with a emergency recovery link. Look for it.
If it's lost, then all your passwords are too.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 09:19:03 PM »
Got that link - from Nov 2015 but it is still asking me for my Master Password still not giving me a way of creating a new one.

I have already lost the passwords - have them backed up so not a big deal, just be annoying to enter them for a bit until saved again - but as I cannot get avast to let me create a new master password I cannot even start password vault again.

Have removed avast altogether and did a fresh install, removed passwords and reinstalled it yet still being asked for the old password all the time - cannot create a whole new account with avast as I have other paid for active licenses as well as the password one that I would lose.

Thanks x

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 01:35:20 PM »
We are not deleting passwords storage on uninstall as you would loose the data without notice. Unfortunately if you are synchronizing and you loose your master password then we don't yet offer simple solution for this situation. We are planing the fix for upcoming release so you can simply remove storage you can't unlock in any situation and that will resolve such issues, until then you need to follow this guide:
!NOTE! if you have forgotten initial master password, the only way to get your data back is make authorization on device which is already fully connected (we call it trusted) in your synchronization group. If you don't have such device we need to perform reset of your account so you can use same account again but you will loose the data. If you want to perform the reset of your account please let me know and I will do it.

• Disable avast self-defense - go to Avast->Settings-Troubleshooting and uncheck "Enable Avast self defense module" option
  • Stop avast service - open Task manager and on Services tab stop service named avast! antivirus
  • Close Avast application window
  • Delete folder "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Avast Software\APM\%USERNAME%" - open explorer, click to address bar on top and paste it there and hit enter -> then delete all files and folders in there (you may create backup of the files by copying them to any other directory)
  • Start avast service
  • Open avast application
  • Enable self-defense

You are done, now you can start from scratch

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »
Thanks, yes do want to do a full reset of my account so I can once again use the Passwords option.  I don't mind re-entering licenses etc just don't want to have to set up a whole new account and so lose them.

I have all my passwords backed up elsewhere ( not on this machine but not via Avast as never managed to get sync to work to allow passwords to work on more than one machine - have to re-enter passwords manually every time I buy a new machine)   so not lost them as such, will just need to re-enter them into Avast once the programme lets me create a new master password.

So I will follow the instructions you give and fingers crossed once done I will be asked for a new Master Password and all will be well, just have to type in each password for it to be saved.

Well into the depths of this machine I go...........

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 11:18:50 AM »
Not that since last year Master password is optional and is not set immediately once you create password storage. To set master password you need to go to avast passwords settings (if you use latest version you can find settings in password manager view in avast main window)