Author Topic: Better than Google Safebrowsing as a browser extension? - 99% protection!  (Read 3889 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Very effective to protect against PHISHING....

Re: https://browserprotection.microsoft.com/learn.html

Do we still need it next to avast browser protection?
Safeguarding you from malicious websites
The Windows Defender Browser Protection extension for Google Chrome allows you to add an additional layer of protection when browsing online, powered by the same trusted intelligence found in Microsoft Edge. The extension alerts you about known malicious links, and gives you a clear path back to safety.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
I posted this here but, as usual, nobody replied. https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=218375.0

As long as it doesn't slow down browsing and doesn't show ads it will work for me.

As with antivirus testing, I don't think I would rely on only the two tests by NSS to draw a conclusion on how effective it is.

I have been using Windows Defender and Windows Defender Firewall for months without problems or annoying, misleading ads. I can't see Windows Defender Browser Protection for Chrome being any different.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:14:39 PM by Charyb »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi Charyb,

Always inspiring to find a likewise mind, share your view here, +1.

It is always a good thing to have an alternative at hand, when your residental av solution cannot be used
during a disaster of some sort or during an interlude for whatever reason (FPs on critical Windows OS files etc.).

Under such particular  circumstances it is always good to know you can fall back to Windows Defender
& Windows browserprotection.

Let's just remind all what a hard job Google sometimes has to perform to fully cleanse the Google webshop
from malware and crap, particularly on android, and Google Safebrowsing detection is far inferior to Window Defender's.

polonus.
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!