Author Topic: Computer crashes running Windows Virtual PC when Avast IS is installed  (Read 2177 times)

REDACTED

Computer crashes running Windows Virtual PC when Avast IS is installed, Bug check Codes's 0x0000003b, 0x00000124, 0x0000001e.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Disable hardware virtualization and see if that solves things.

REDACTED

I have the exact same problem.  Why has Avast not been fixed?  This is clearly an Avast problem.  Turning off hardware virtualization is not a good solution - it will affect the performance of the VM.

I tried disabling self protection, root-kit features, etc. in "troubleshooting" and even shutting down the Avast service, but as long as Avast is installed, instant BSOD.

Unacceptable.

REDACTED

Note that if I switch to "passive mode," then the crash goes away, but then of course I don't have any realtime protection.

If passive mode is NOT selected, I'll even crash the host if in a VMware guest if I try to run Virtual PC there, unless I uncheck the virtual option in "troubleshooting." However, even with it unchecked, the VM inside Virtual PC still crashes sporadically and the apps in it experience unexpected crashes.

I suspect this is aswVmm.sys which is incompatible with the vmm.sys used by Virtual PC.  I know you can't install VPC in Windows 8, because that same file is incompatible, so I'm guessing Avast simply dropped Windows 7 support with respect to usage in that DLL.  Not cool.

Avast 17.9 didn't cause these problems, at least with Virtual PC inside a VMware virtual machine, which is how you can run it on Windows 8 (in a Windows 7 VMware guest).

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:22:40 PM by Biffster »

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
Hi Biffster,
can you take a look into windows directory for MEMORY.DMP and upload it to avast ftp as service25_memory_dmp.zip ?
System memory dumps are usually located at C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.
It will help us to resolve the crash.
Thank you !
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:46:37 AM by kwiq »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Hi service25...
Hi kwiq, check the date. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

Different guy, same problem.  I'll see if I can upload the file as you requested.