Author Topic: Can't Update IAVS  (Read 2122 times)

sf470

Can't Update IAVS
« on: June 24, 2006, 05:46:00 AM »
I have Avast 4.7 Home Edition and are unable to update the Virus Database (last Update during Initial Install 31/5/06 Version 0622.22

Every Time I go to A Icon, and Updating IAVS Update, I get Following Message:
Downloading Packages
Error: cannot connect to Server

My Connection Setup is through Explorer Setting

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can't Update IAVS
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 02:15:47 PM »
Check also if the servers.def file is corrupt or 0KB (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def).  You can try and download the servers.def file, http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def and replace the one in the avast setup folder.

If this fails, basically, check:

1)  If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired).

2) If your firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect. If you're not sure, just turn off your firewall (to be sure the update failure is not due to it). Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.

3)  Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy

Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
The best things in life are free.