Author Topic: Recommendations!  (Read 7089 times)

kojak

Recommendations!
« on: January 03, 2004, 03:42:57 AM »
I note a Small Business Network version may become available.

I'm desirous of protecting a 3 to 5 node network running 98SE with 2k Pro at the frontend... No domain.  What is the recommended avast! software and configuration?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Recommendations!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 05:14:12 PM »
No server OS? No file server? No mail server?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

kojak

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 05:23:41 PM »
No server OS? No file server? No mail server?

None... All peer to peer.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 05:36:15 PM »
Well then life is simple - you'd only have to buy the appropriate N-pack of avast Professional Edition licenses, where N stands for the number of computers.

The pricelist is here: http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1298.html .
E.g. for 5 licenses with 1 year of updates it is $144.75 (please note that this is actually almost the same price as a 4-lic pack which is $135.80).

As about the configuration - that depends on how the computers are used (e.g. if any of them is somehow used as a file server, i.e. storage for shared files etc...).

Vlk

kojak

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 03:42:47 AM »
used (e.g. if any of them is somehow used as a file server, i.e. storage for shared files etc...).

The Windows 2k Pro machine is a file server.  Your thoughts on the configuration and use of avast! would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 03:43:46 AM by kojak »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 10:45:55 AM »
The Windows 2k Pro machine is a file server.  Your thoughts on the configuration and use of avast! would be appreciated.

OK then you can make the following changes on that machine:

- set the on-access scanner's sensitivity to High
- turn on Silent mode in the Standard Shield's settings, if there's a chance that the machine will be left unattended while other people from other workstations will be saving files to that machine
- possibly create a schedule for an on-demand task to be run periodically (e.g. every night at 2am, provided you don't turn your computers off...)

kojak

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 01:07:39 AM »
Quite useful options that I had previously overlooked.  Thank you for your recommendations!

kojak

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 03:33:00 AM »

- possibly create a schedule for an on-demand task to be run periodically (e.g. every night at 2am, provided you don't turn your computers off...)

Would using the avast! screensaver, on the file server, accomplish the same thing?  Am I correct to assume that when a screensaver scan finishes it will NOT start another full scan until such time that the screen saver is deactivated than reactivated???
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 03:34:02 AM by kojak »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 11:54:12 AM »
Would using the avast! screensaver, on the file server, accomplish the same thing?  Am I correct to assume that when a screensaver scan finishes it will NOT start another full scan until such time that the screen saver is deactivated than reactivated???

kojak, when I tried the avast! screensaver it just 'start' a new scan from the beginning and not 'resuming' the previous running. Maybe it was fixed in the new updates but I did not try.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

kojak

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 02:12:41 PM »
It's amazing what one can find in avast!... Go to the Screensaver tab and select Settings and then 'Loop Scanning'.  Selecting/checking the 'Advanced Configuration' will provide additional options for screensaver scanning.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 02:41:41 PM »
Actually scheduling a task may be more appropriate then using the screen-saver because you can control when it's going to run (and have complete control over the results) -- i.e. it may not be appropriate to do those length, CPU-intensive scans during work hours as the overall performance of the system may rapidly decrease...

Just my €0.02 worth ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 02:59:30 PM »
when I tried the avast! screensaver it just 'start' a new scan from the beginning and not 'resuming' the previous running. Maybe it was fixed in the new updates but I did not try.  ;)

Is there any answer for my question?  :'(
The best things in life are free.