Author Topic: avast found one called errorguard.exe  (Read 6979 times)

ramblinrose

avast found one called errorguard.exe
« on: June 24, 2006, 12:08:38 AM »
Hello, I was doing scanning a checkup and avast found an adware on my pc
Win32-Adware-gen. ErrorGuard.exe
I told avast to put it in quarantine chest but popped up saying *cannot process* "D:\ErrorGuard.exe" file Access is denied
So now I have it on my pc and I don't know what to do...I believe I got that from someone who installed a program called Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator on my pc.
Should I be worry? I appreciated any help...Thanks so much hugs, Rose (enclosed an attachment showing what avast showed me)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast found one called errorguard.exe
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 12:23:00 AM »
You could also check the offending/suspect file at: Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. You can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.
Or VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner

If it is indeed a false positive, add it to the exclusions lists (Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced and Program Settings, Exclusions) and check scan it periodically using the ashQuick scan (right click scan), when it is no longer detected then remove it from the exclusions.
Also see (Mini Sticky) False Positives
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ramblinrose

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 01:58:56 AM »
avast can't move it to the chest so I had to let it continue scanning. This was the first time for me that happen. I will do your suggestions and I will post back later....ad-aware se, spybot, spysweeper, and ewido didn't pick up anything. hugs, Rose

mauserme

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 02:08:34 AM »
Hi Rose,

Do you have Delfin Media Viewer on your computer? 

Errorguard.exe is one of several files that could be included in a Delfin installation.  This is adware that should be removed if you have it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 02:45:46 AM »
avast can't move it to the chest so I had to let it continue scanning. This was the first time for me that happen. I will do your suggestions and I will post back later....ad-aware se, spybot, spysweeper, and ewido didn't pick up anything. hugs, Rose

Windows in its infinite wisdom protects files in use (even malware), so it is likely that avast! can't delete or move files in use. So schedule boot-time scan in avast's menu if you have XP, win2k or NT, otherwise boot into safe mode and run an avast scan. This should ensure that the file isn't in use and avast should be able to deal with it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ramblinrose

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 05:24:30 AM »
I don't have Delfin Media Viewer installed...I will tell you what are installed on my pc when techie did that. I asked him to back up whole system of pc in case if something bad happen to my pc, I can use back up cd to restore it. I had a very bad experience with my laptop which was why I want to be prepared with my pc. I am not a pc novice. I don't understand pc well enough to do it myself.

I was little upset to see avast warned me that I have an adware on my pc... :'(

This is what he installed on my pc: Acronis True Image Corprate Workstation: Acronis True Image Management Console: Acronis True Image Agent: and Easy CD & DVD creator 6

I know nothing about it but I trusted him to do what's best  for my pc.

So I should go ahead to scan in safe mode? At least I can do that.  I did it once before. I am not sure I understand correctly by DavidR. I will do scan in safe mode but what do you mean by schedule boot-time scan? I have windows xp home edition sp2...Please tell me again making sure I understand. Should I disable system restore first or after  avast done with scan? Also will I need to unhide hidden files and folders before I do safe mode? I want to do this right... I will wait for your reply...Thank you so much. Regards, Rose
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 05:26:41 AM by ramblinrose »

mauserme

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 07:15:38 AM »
To schedule a boot scan open the avast! program, right click within to avast! window, and click Schedule Boot-Time Scan.  Click OK when prompted to restart.  I don't think you need to worry about hidden files and folders.

If you have USB keyboard make sure it's enabled in the BIOS before you run the boot scan as you will need it to be functional if anything is found.  Since the scan is run prior to Windows loading there won't be any Windows keyboard support yet.

If any malware is found during the boot scan move the item(s) to the chest if possible.  Delete should be the choice of last resort.

There is a little more information about errorguard.exe here

http://www.spyany.com/program/article_adw_rm_ErrorGuard.html

but remember, this could be a false positive.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 07:17:17 AM by mauserme »

Spiritsongs

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 07:27:06 AM »
 :) Hi Rose :

I thought you were a lot sharper than you are posting ;
     the Avast "Warning" screen says this is on your "D" Drive.
     Are the 2 Acronis & the "Easy CD...." on your "D" Drive ?
     What is on your D Drive ? On the Avast Warning screen,
     there is a "More info....." ; did you click it ? What specifically
     does it say ?
     Have you done a Google Search for "Errorguard.exe" ; I
     did and the 1st page lists lots of possibilities to look into
     ONCE you have the info from "More info....."
     So you had "Techie" work on your Desktop as well as
    "redo" the laptop ?

ramblinrose

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 09:08:27 AM »
Hi I am back...it didn't work in safe mode and even tried delete, no go.

Yes errorguard.exe is in D drive but it is not installed just sit there. I clicked on *more infor all it says was for reporting.

I tried to deleted errorguard.exe from D drive, it won't delete. avast popped up an alarm and then froze. I had to restart.

I am contacting a techie who were responsible for that. I don't want it there.

Will it never ends? First my laptop and now my pc....Pc is fine. It's just that when I scanned for a checkup tonite, I had an alarm. I was like *now what?*

Yes I used google and I didn't like what I read.... Rose  :(
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 09:10:54 AM by ramblinrose »

ramblinrose

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 11:36:08 AM »
Thank you for bringing my attention about D drive, spiritsongs
I didn't realized that there were cd still in there. A techie forgot to take it out...it was his. No wonder avast can't move it to the chest or delete!!

Well no more alarms....whew Thank you all for helping me....I appreciated it.  :D Regards, Rose

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 03:37:20 PM »
Some techie that forgets his tools ;D
Glad that you have resolved the problem and learnt a little into the bargain (along with us, I have 2 HDDs and many partitions so I never dreamt that the D:\ might be your CD/DVD drive)

mauserme

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 03:54:54 PM »
Sorry Rose - I assumed the same as David about the D: drive  :-[

Well, you know what happens when you assume ...

ramblinrose

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 09:27:58 AM »
It's ok....I really really appreciated your help!! Very special thanks to spiritsongs!  Thank you...I am just happy that it was solved.  ;D...hugs. Rose
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 09:30:20 AM by ramblinrose »