Author Topic: Win32: Spyware-gen upg_dll.dll  (Read 2893 times)

Chris Kirkman

Win32: Spyware-gen upg_dll.dll
« on: June 25, 2006, 05:09:23 PM »
 >:( Have been using Avast V4.7 Home edition for some time and find it does the job very effectively.

I've jot soemething on my system now which I don't seem able to get rid of. Every few minutes I get a warning that a virus has been detected
The file concerned is named upg_dll.dll and is in a temporay folder. No matter whether I move or delete it the warning simply comes back again a minute or 2 later but in another folder with consecutive name, eg New3B.tmp, New3C.tmp, New3D.tmp, etc.
When I explore the folder before deleting I can see that it it actually contains 2 files, upgrade.exe and upg_dll.dll

Despite doing Spybot and Avast scans have not been able to track down the source of this.

Any help much appreciated.

Chris K

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Win32: Spyware-gen upg_dll.dll
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 05:20:31 PM »
Looks like you have the latest variant of new dot net.   Basic removal instructions are

First, Download LSPFix.exe to a convenient location.  Do NOT run this program.  This is only to be used if you lose Internet Access after removing NewDotNet.

To Get rid of NewDotNet, go to:

Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and remove the following:

New.Net Applications or New.Net Domains (anything that says New.Net)

If it is not there, go here and follow Procedure 4: NewDotNet Removal Procedure 4.

In the event that you lose Internet access after removing New.Net, please double-click LSPFix.exe that you downloaded earlier.  You will see 2 panels.  If there is any file listed in the "Remove" panel on the right-side, leave it as is and just click "Finish>>" then reboot your computer and you should now have access to the Internet.  If nothing is listed under the "Remove Panel", do NOT do anything - just close the program. 

You probably have  a Trojan mixed in as well  I would suggest that you then clear all your temp file with crapcleaner

Chris Kirkman

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 05:48:00 PM »
 :) Thanks essexboy. That's done the trick for me, found it in add/remove progrmas and didn't need to use LSPFix. Suppose I should have looked there but didn't think I had installed anything so it didn't occur to me. Also got crapcleaner as you suggested and it certainly seems to have cleared out a load of stuff that had been missed.

Thanks again,

Chris

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 05:52:58 PM »
Welcome to the Avast world  ;D