Author Topic: Does avast scan each file when opened  (Read 3246 times)

lanecoveking

Does avast scan each file when opened
« on: June 25, 2006, 05:50:50 AM »
Does avast scan each file when the file is opened as a sort of auto-protection?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Does avast scan each file when opened
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 07:02:36 AM »
Yes, IF you have on access settings set to do so.

left click the "a" ball, select standard shield, customize, scanner(advanced)

Hope this helps and welcome to the forums.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 01:21:23 PM »
Yes, depending on your Standard Shield settings.
Quote from: Extract from avast! help file
Scan created/modified files. Not only opened files will be scanned, but created or modified files will be included as well.
All files. The setting above will concern all the files.
Only files with selected extension. Created/modified files will be scanned only if they have a certain extension (see below).
Default extension set. Created or modified files will be scanned only if they have any of the "dangerous" extensions.
Additional extensions. You can enter additional extensions of files that should be tested when created or modified.

- I suggest you browse the avast help file, Resident Protection, Standard Shield Provider Settings, Scanner (Advanced) Page, to see what the various settings do. This will help you to get the best out of avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lanecoveking

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 12:25:02 PM »
Thanks, I thought it does too.  I loaded Avast Home on one of my PCs, and when I open a file, I do not see any sign of the file being scan before opening (like NAV, it shows scanning for virus), that's why I asked.

In fact, I am rather frustrated with the amount of time NAV takes to scan a file before opening.  Usually, it takes about 2-3 seconds to scan a word file before opening.  But, lately I have been using the PC to watch HDTV while I work, it takes over 15 seconds to scan a small word file before opening, that's too much and frustrating.  I might have to drop NAV.  How much time would Avast Home take to scan a word file, say 50K in size, before opening?  Would it take a lot longer if something like HDTV is running?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 01:07:29 PM »
How exactly do you open the file?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 04:04:36 PM »
If and when you choose to use avast, getting rid of NAV can be a real pain as frequently remnants are left that can conflict with other AVs as many posts in these forums can attest to. Let us know as and when you want to switch and we can help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security