Author Topic: My Moved files?  (Read 2032 times)

plkcx45

My Moved files?
« on: June 25, 2006, 11:24:42 AM »
I have installed new avast! 4.7 Professional and since then, it found over 65 viruses, worms, malwares, etc.  Some of which are duplicates and thankfully have never been activated.  I thought something was fishy when my pc was running way too much RAM than what it usually called for.  I always trusted Symantec Norton, but after uninstalling and installing avast! made me realize who is really ontop of things.

My question concerns the DATA/moved folder.  I have 3,705 files in there and don't know how they got there.  After I ran the deep scan on all 3 of my HDD's, it popped up a window telling that there were over 7,000+ files that could not be accessed and wanted to know what I wanted to do with them.  I don't think that I selected the Move Files option, but rather cancelled it out.  The next thing I knew was it started moving ALL the 7,000+ files.  I had no way of stopping it, so I reverted to quickly truning off my pc.

Some of the files consist of registry keys, and other misc. files.  Ever since that problem occurred, I've had a few problems with certain applications such as Roxio Media Creator, PlexTool and neither one of my CD/DVD ROM's are found in My Computer.  My pc still runs pretty smoothly, I've cleaned my registry and I even reverted back to a previous restore point, but still have no ROM's.  I tried rolling back the driver and troubleshooting it, but nothing helps.

How can I move the files back to where they belong?  It did not give me an edit option to "undo move" like with other folders.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: My Moved files?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 03:17:19 PM »
Sorry, there isn't an automated way to bring back files to the original path...
The option should be 'move to Chest'... then the original path is stored and the files could be easily moved back.
But the access problem you're experiencing make me think if you don't have to run a full scandisk (in XP Restore Console is chkdsk /R).
Maybe if you run
sfc /scannow
you could restore all system files that could be missing. Than update your Windows again.
The better with the 'faulty' programs could be a reisntallation.
Hope this helps in anyway...
The best things in life are free.

plkcx45

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 10:54:40 PM »
Thank you for your response.  I thought there was something missing in this app.  I just thought that there might have been a plug-in or an alternative method in restoring what was moved.

Like I said, my pc still runs pretty smoothly, but for the apps that are not working, I do need to reinstall them.  There is still a problem with me installing them from cd/dvd, which I can not because of the problem containing my pc not reading the ROM's.

I will try what you said and see if anything is replaced.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 01:27:33 AM »
Which I can not because of the problem containing my pc not reading the ROM's.
This seems to be a hardware or driver problem...
If you go Control Panel > System > Hardware > Devices... Is there any of them that appears with a "?" yellow mark?
The best things in life are free.