Author Topic: Phishing Texts  (Read 2761 times)

REDACTED

Phishing Texts
« on: May 03, 2018, 07:44:30 PM »

Yesterday I received 2 phishing texts on my Vodaphone smart phone. Today, there are roughly another dozen. I have the free avast mobile security installed and wonder if there is any way that I can stop these annoying texts.

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Phishing Texts
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 12:37:31 AM »
There is an SMS Shield (in Menu > Settings > Protection) that warns you when you receive an SMS message containing a malicious URL. It also warns you when you receive an SMS message from a phone number which is a known malware distributor or spammer based on the experience of other users by looking up the sender in our database of known malicious phone numbers. If you want to share more details about the sender, so that we can add it to our database, please contact us on android@avast.com with more details, thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 07:39:05 PM »
If you want to share more details about the sender, so that we can add it to our database, please contact us on android@avast.com with more details, thanks.

Tried and got this:
“Dear Sender,

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients.
The person you have tried to reach is no longer working with us.

Thank you.”.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 07:56:42 PM »
please contact us on
android@avast.com
with more details, thanks.

Tried and got this:
“Dear Sender,

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients.
The person you have tried to reach is no longer working with us.

Thank you.”.

Tereza???
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 07:59:13 PM by blowtorch73 »

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 08:05:44 PM »
That is very strange, thanks for letting me know. I'll try to find out what's happened, but it is public holiday tomorrow, so I will get back to you on Wednesday.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 10:23:54 AM »
Hi Tereza, been trying to access my account but for some reason (eg my stupidity), couldn’t get in with my usual details. So changed my user and email.
Found the blocking facility on my phone and using this have, I think, stopped the offending texts. Got an email from Avast asking for phone numbers etc, but since I’ve blocked the texts, I no longer have these details. Will now reply to the Avast Email with this info. Meanwhile, thank you for your input. BTW, switched on the shield but found that it had somehow switched itself off.

P.S. Perhaps because my sight and hearing  are failing, I find the verification to post impossible whether listening or reading.
Edit: Well, obviously not impossible, but not far off it!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:28:18 AM by Forfar1 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 10:34:59 AM »
P.S. Perhaps because my sight and hearing  are failing, I find the verification to post impossible whether listening or reading.
Edit: Well, obviously not impossible, but not far off it!
Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 07:23:56 PM »
Thanks for that. I was silly enough to edit the post and had to go through the same procedure ie 10-15 attempts to finally get access. I now see that even with this reply, I will have to face the same problem again. The first Captcha really is impossible and a total waste of time. Same for the second. And the third! Fourth. Fifth. Sixth. Can read all letters bar one off the seventh. Eighth,nineth - high hopes for eighteenth. Is it NHNBGC? Let’s find out.