Author Topic: Had to do a re-install of Avast after this month's Windows 10 updates (help?)  (Read 2592 times)

REDACTED

I'm sorry if this is the wrong area to post this but I am unsure of where this belongs. I need some serious help.

Okay... so... I just had to do a clean re-install of Avast after I installed this month's Windows 10 updates.

Because I kept getting a 'UI failed to load' error and I wasn't protected. I tried to just repair it but that didn't work so I had to do a clean re-install of Avast to fix the issue.

These were the updates of Windows 10 I installed:

2018-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4103721)
Update for Windows Defender Antivirus antimalware platform - KB4052623 (Version 4.14.17639.18041)
Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Definition 1.267.1013.0)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - May 2018 (KB890830)

The issue is fixed because I did a clean re-install of Avast. However, my concern now is that I'm going to have to do this once a month. By that, I mean a clean re-install of Avast once a month.

Can someone help me prevent this issue from happening again by telling me what to do to prevent from having to do a clean re-install of Avast once a month? In other words... can someone tell me what to do to prevent this from happening again?

I'd really appreciate any help with this. Thank you.

REDACTED

I did the same. It fixed it 75% of the time. Every so often I boot and avast does this again. Does this on both my windows 10 computers.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

-> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=218193.msg1460381#msg1460381

How do I implement the update?

I've already been forced to do a clean re-install of Avast.

So did I fix it yes or no?

Will I have to do a clean re-install of Avast every month? Yes or no?

The answer to my second question better be no.  :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
There is also a new Windows 10 Update (Patch Tuesday) as of yesterday, by all accounts this has some bug fixes, though no direct details on what bugs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

There is also a new Windows 10 Update (Patch Tuesday) as of yesterday, by all accounts this has some bug fixes, though no direct details on what bugs.

You didn't really answer my question though...

Am I going to have to do a clean re-install of Avast every month?

How am I supposed to implement the so-called 'fix' mentioned by Asyn?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I haven't had to do a clean reinstall every month on this win10 laptop since I have had it. 

In theory these regular monthly updates as opposed to major OS version updates such as the Spring Update.

The link that Asyn gave a little further down on pk's next post mentions hoe to initiate it manually.

353 is internal number of this uupdate (its number is written in Avast's registry key). You can check if AvChrome.dll.sum file is present in your Avast program folder (it probably means uupdate was delivered on your machine). You can also run AvEmUpdate.exe manually to check for all available uupdates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

I haven't had to do a clean reinstall every month on this win10 laptop since I have had it. 

In theory these regular monthly updates as opposed to major OS version updates such as the Spring Update.

The link that Asyn gave a little further down on pk's next post mentions hoe to initiate it manually.

353 is internal number of this uupdate (its number is written in Avast's registry key). You can check if AvChrome.dll.sum file is present in your Avast program folder (it probably means uupdate was delivered on your machine). You can also run AvEmUpdate.exe manually to check for all available uupdates.

I checked and AvChrome.dll.sum is in my Avast folder so hopefully that means it won't happen again.

Well... it better not happen again. If it does... expect another topic from me.  :-\

Thanks for the help.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

Spoke too soon. It happened again after the new Avast version was released today. But let's just continue this in the new topic I created.