Author Topic: Scheduled Scan/Home Edition  (Read 4466 times)

jedakay

Scheduled Scan/Home Edition
« on: June 26, 2006, 07:53:30 PM »
Am using the latest avast home edition and do my weekly virus scan through Windows Scheduled Tasks at night, is there any way to have avast put any found viruses in the chest automatically rather than me finding out next morning that the program paused because there was a found virus and is waiting for my action to complete the scan?  Looked in the menu box for the Simple User Interface and if there is a way I must have missed it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scheduled Scan/Home Edition
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 09:09:29 PM »
These advanced automated options are only available in the Pro version.

I'm not sure that you can because you are using the ashQuick.exe work around rather than the standard on-demand scan, where the rules/settings in standard shield should be effective.

You only have a limited option in the Home (free) version, to send the infected file to the virus Chest (silent mode, with general answer no, see below). As I said I not sure if this will work with ashQuick.exe.

My own feeling on this is you should use the default interactive action. This way you know exactly what is going on with your system. If you are getting so many warnings, that you want to automate this process, I believe you should review your security practice - filter emails at source, delete from server rather than download them, sites they visit, etc.

See the avast help file, Resident Protection: Standard Shield Provider Settings - "Advanced" Page.
Click on Standard Shield and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the General answer No.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jedakay

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 03:28:04 AM »
I don't get that many warnings, it's just that I got one this weekend about a worm sometime early in the scan and it paused waiting for my action the next morning when I took care of it and the scan resumed; a complete standard system scan takes about 35-45 minutes and that is why I run it at night where I don't have to mess with it when I need to be on the computer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 02:57:28 PM »
Well you can try the silent mode settings within standard shield, but I don't think it will help with the way you are ashQuick.exe to do a scheduled scan.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 03:04:04 PM »
No, it certainly won't help for ashQuick.
The only possible way would be to "wait" for the first virus to be detected, and then check the "Don't show this dialog next time" option in the virus dialog.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 03:12:22 PM »
Pro version is more flexible about this stuff :P
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

jedakay

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 06:25:25 PM »
Ok, guys, thanks for the help; I'll certainly try either method!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 07:11:27 PM »
Ok, guys, thanks for the help; I'll certainly try either method!
Why not the screen saver module?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

jedakay

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 05:23:31 AM »
I'm sorrry,  but I don't understand what you are trying to tell me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 02:49:19 PM »
From avast help file:

Screen-Saver

avast! makes it possible to perform the file scanning even during the time your computer is not working and a screen-saver is running. It displays a small window inside your favorite screen-saver that informs you about the scanning progress, i.e. about the number of scanned files etc. If avast! finds a virus during the scanning, the test is interrupted and the well-known alert window is shown.

If you want to use the Screen-Saver task, you have to select "avast! antivirus" in your Screen control panel - screen-saver setting.

The settings for the Screen-Saver task are the same as for all the other tasks, only the page Screen saver is added:

Screen saver. From the list of installed screen-savers, select the one that will be run.
Settings. These is not avast! settings, but ordinary Windows screen-saver settings corresponding to the screen-saver selected. In case of problems, consult the Windows OS help.
Scan for viruses. This option enables scanning for viruses in the screen-saver. If not checked, the avast! screen-saver will behave just like the ordinary one.
Loop scanning. After the screen-saver scans all the areas defined, it will start from the beginning again.
Window movement speed. Specifies how often the scanner progress window changes its position on the screen.

jedakay

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 07:02:10 PM »
Ok, guess I didn't look far enough, knew there was a screen saver but didn't know you could scan from it.  Still, it stops when a virus is found which is what I'm trying to get away from; thanks everybody, I learned a few things.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 08:50:40 PM »
Still, it stops when a virus is found which is what I'm trying to get away from; thanks everybody, I learned a few things.

Automatic scanning is only in Professional version (see picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).
In Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" as soon as the first virus warning appears, and click on "No action" button. This way, nothing will be done and you will be presented the results at the end (and you can perform actions from there).