Author Topic: Restoring files from virus quarantine - Not working  (Read 2480 times)

Offline sushihauva

Restoring files from virus quarantine - Not working
« on: December 11, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »
Hello,

Until this day I never had any problems with avast and it has been a joy to use it.

Two files were moved to virus quarantine automatically by avast:
IDP.generic "runserver.cmd"
IDP.generic "ARK Server Manager.exe"

There was absolutely no reason to quarantine said files as I am sure they are not viruses; server manager is being used by me and runserver.cmd was a file created by said program, which is used to boot up the server on startup of windows.

First I was offered with two options:
1) remove chosen file from computer permanently
2) send the file to be analyzed (some kind of stress button that doesn't work)

Thought it was outrageous I am not even offered a chance to restore files. Updated program and now my options have changed:
1) RESTORE (can be clicked, but doesn't seem to respond in any way, not functional)
2) send the file to be analyzed (still nothing)

Come on... am I no longer allowed to restore files I am sure are not infected?

I smashed that restore button for both files, but nothing. After a while the files were gone. Poof. Out of my reach. The program that was protecting me from programs that are maliciously trying to take control did just that. I will -not- use a program that makes these decisions for me and doesn't offer a chance to restore files.

Avast uninstalled. Let me know when users can decide what they want to keep and what to quarantine/delete. Right now avast feels like a virus.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: Restoring files from virus quarantine - Not working
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 02:17:29 PM »
some seems to have problems with virus chest

Try access virus chest from right click on tray icon menu

Avast uninstalled.
If so, then files in chest are gone

Offline sushihauva

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »
some seems to have problems with virus chest

Try access virus chest from right click on tray icon menu

Avast uninstalled.
If so, then files in chest are gone

I tried opening the virus chest both through the program and from tray, sorry I forgot to mention. They both lead to the same place that doesn't function.

Thought I mentioned the files were already gone from virus chest when I tried to restore them. It didn't restore them, but remove them (eventhough the restore button seemed to be non-functional).
I uninstalled asap so I don't have to deal with any further "hey let's randomly remove files from your computer" -issues. I'm certain this behaviour is unintended, but it's certainly not something users will tolerate.

Offline sushihauva

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 01:15:35 AM »
I do wonder if the issue is fixed by now, this thread didn't get much attention. Avast just got away with a shrug when it was acting like a virus and deleting files from my computer that didn't have anything to do with viruses.