Author Topic: [W2000] Avast crashes the pc ?  (Read 5964 times)

Jarodd

[W2000] Avast crashes the pc ?
« on: June 27, 2006, 10:50:05 AM »
Hello everybody,

First sorry for my poor english, I'm a french man. I have read the others threads but don't find the same probleme on me.

Here my problem : I have reinstalled Windows 2000, and I put again Avast. But, since the day, my pc goes down (is this the real word ? hum) sometimes. I have asked on french forum, and here, they told me that Avast was the problem. The found the diagnostic with a .dmp file on c:\WINNT. (Error on Aavmker4.sys)

So I would know what I have to do ? They say to me to change antivirus, but I like Avast and I don't want to change. So Avast is really the problem ? Can I repar it ?

Thanks you very much for your help :)

Jarodd
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 01:04:49 PM by Jarodd »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: [W2000] Avast crashes the pc ?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 01:47:34 PM »
Is this a laptop?
Does the computer crash or just freeze?
Are you sure the computer is not shutting down because of the temperature (hot)?
Did you install Windows 2000 from the beggining or update it from Wndows 98?
The best things in life are free.

Jarodd

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 04:57:59 PM »
Hello,

It's not a laptop.

This is a crash, even when I don't use it. It restarts completely, with BIOS, loading Windows, ...When I use the computer, nothing appears to prevent me of this crash, this is imediate.

I don't know the temperature, I'm going to do some test. One month ago, I have a program which told me the temperature, it was around 45 °C. Since, I don't think it grows until the crash ? But I will check.

It's an installation of W2000 SP4 from the beginning. I install it, then I put on a security roll up (june 2005). I have use it sometimes, on this pc and others, never  have problems with it.

Thanks for your help  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 07:19:14 PM »
This is a crash, even when I don't use it. It restarts completely, with BIOS, loading Windows, ...When I use the computer, nothing appears to prevent me of this crash, this is imediate.
Can you disable the automatic restart?
See screenshot here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17807.msg151523#msg151523

When you get the blue screen, write down the message and post the information here.
It's important the error numbers and the error message there.

Disable Automatic Restart:
System Properties > Advanced > [Startup and Recovery]Settings
Remove the checkmark from "Automatically Restart" in the System Failure section.

I don't know the temperature, I'm going to do some test. One month ago, I have a program which told me the temperature, it was around 45 °C. Since, I don't think it grows until the crash ? But I will check.
Don't seem to be the temperature, but modern computers turn off themselves if they're overheated.
The best things in life are free.

Filippo_Morosini

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:29:21 AM »
I am the IT director of a small italian company:

We have the same problem in my factory: we use avast Pro and yesterday the Av Software prompted an error with "Aavmker4.sys" on some of our pcs.

Later on we restarted the pc and the system crashed on windows loading, restarting immediatly and looping this crash-restart routine.

I tried different types of boot from the win2000 console but the only one working is the temporary modality (in wich the avast providers are not loaded).

I disconnected the pc from the LAN and loaded a ghost image of the system:

-on the first boot everything was fine, but when I reconnected it to the net (and also the internet) Avast updated the version (and this is normal becuase on my ghost there is a version two weeks old) and then asked several times for restarting the system.

- After the first of theese restarts the error with the sys file reappeared and then after also the pc autorestarting loop.

In my opinion this is some kind of error or malware that afflicts Avast in particular, because the only pc that does not present this problem in our factory is the one that does not have the Av software installed.

I do not have any backup of the LAN without the antivirus for thoose pcs that have the problem, so I need a very fast solution to this issue or my principal will get very angry :)

Atm the only solution I found is to completly shut down the router of our network and isolate the computers from internet, but we can't stand this situation for long time.

Only the pcs with Win2000 present this issue, we have some WinXP pcs and there everything is fine.

Thank You for your attention,

Filippo Morosini

Jarodd

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 10:59:19 AM »
Thank you for your help.

Yesterday I did the desactivation of automatic reboot. Then I made some tests of my RAM with MemTest for all night, and this morning I see I have a barett which have some problems :-\

So I think Avast wasn't the origin of my problem, this is the positive point of this adventure ;D Maybe the Aavmker4.sys problem was the consequence of the bad state of my RAM ?

Once again thank you very much.

Jarodd

Filippo_Morosini

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 11:18:19 AM »
after reading this i tried to substitute the ram of our pc and nothing changed :( we still have the restart loop problem..

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 11:29:55 AM »
There should be a minidump file for each restart in WinNT\Minidump folder (unless the creation of the dump if disabled completely in system settings).
Can you get a few of the most recent dumps and send them to vlk@avast.com for inspection?
Thanks.

Filippo_Morosini

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 12:43:30 PM »
I will try to get thoose files from one of the afflicted pc's because at the moment we had to restore a backup on the most of them to let the users continue their work.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 01:08:43 PM »
Generally, 99.9% of crashes in AavmKer4.sys are caused by faulty memory (RAM). I'm not daring to say that the driver is free of bugs - it's just that I have seen too many crashes in this driver, and generally all of them were eventually proven to be caused by a hardware problem.

So, your best bet is to do some memory test.

If you have a CD burner, the best way is to download, burn and boot from the MemTest86+ CD http://www.memtest.org
There's also a version that fits on a floppy or a USB flash drive.

MemTest86+ is free and works extremely well.

Let it run overnight and see if it reports any problems.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Jarodd

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
I confirm MemTest is a very good programe to find problems of RAM !  :) Since I have put off my RAM which doesn't work very well, I have no others problems... and I can use Avast again !  ;D

Filippo_Morosini

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 09:58:06 AM »
I hope I could do so! I bought a 3 years multilicense of avast :)

I'll test my ram and report back...

actually i can't find any minidump file because i restored backups over all the afflicted pcs before I read the response on this forum :|

thx for help I'll update ASAP