Other > Non-Avast security products

Pale Moon NoScript 'crisis'

<< < (2/3) > >>

Asyn:

--- Quote from: polonus on May 12, 2018, 05:30:01 PM ---1. The same as with original av no longer is protecting against all modern hacker attacks (white, grey, black hackers and state sp**ks and state actors). You are constantly in an "after the facts" position and lucky not to trod on a zero-day or non-documented state spyware or being under drag-net surveillance.

2. After doing away with WHOIS and working towards doing away with anything outside the non-public cloud (http, full e2e encryption), what will there  be left of protection of our last vestiges of privacy and individuality?

--- End quote ---
1. Avast does. :)
2. Well, advanced users will always find ways to protect themselves - the unaware masses were always easy prey for the bad guys.

polonus:
Hi Asyn,

Agree with you where avast is concerned, I would not be here if that was not so.  ;D ;)

NoScript is unsafe in some respects, not everyone understands the workings of it, so for instance the as default settings in the tor browser is set wrong.

There is also dangerous features, like looking up info with NoScript (Shift+click on host name, and pull up info on trustability from NoScript.net database). But also functionality other script blockers miss:  XSS protection and CSRF protection and clearclick. Things that are not there in uMatrix. Also ABE and SABER firewall like feature.

Also there are no zero-days for NoScript it can even block the script threats from the near and far future, the concept is great.
Alas handling the tool for the non-tech-savvy easily goes awfully wrong, and many leave it to "rot". There it is a two-sided sword really.

polonus (volunteer website security analyst and website error-hunter)

polonus:
One could still use NoScript by taking off the tag at "disable".

Support for the old add-ons in Firefox ESR 52 ends coming August (2018),
so the amount of Legacy add-ons will certainly deminish round that time.

Also this will disappear: https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/

polonus

Asyn:

--- Quote from: polonus on May 13, 2018, 05:41:03 PM ---Also this will disappear: https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/

--- End quote ---
Hi, it certainly won't disappear in Firefox - no idea about Pale Moon, though.

DavidR:

--- Quote from: polonus on May 13, 2018, 05:41:03 PM ---One could still use NoScript by taking off the tag at "disable".

Support for the old add-ons in Firefox ESR 52 ends coming August (2018),
so the amount of Legacy add-ons will certainly deminish round that time.
<snip>

--- End quote ---

1.  I don't see the point of doing that, when there are other options that cover much of what NoScript does.

2.  Considering we are already on Firefox ESR version 52.8.0 (32-bit), come August 2018, we will have passed ESR version 52.0.  Since many will be on the mainstream version/s of firefox, Legacy add-ons are already dead.  At a very rough guess I would say 80% or possibly more are Legacy add-ons on the Mozilla site.

When Mozilla announced the death of Legacy add-ons outside of the ESR version, I said it was the longest suicide note for a browser I had seen. 

If people can't get the add-ons that they need/want, then what attraction does firefox hold, not much.  I liked the configurability and multitude of add-ons that attracted me to firefox, well than and IE was cr4p and I didn't like Opera.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version