Author Topic: UI failed to load  (Read 3284 times)

Offline A9n2n

UI failed to load
« on: May 12, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »
Hello.
My OS version is Windows 10 Home 18.03  17134.48.
Today my Avast Free decided that it needs to update itself to version 18.4.2338.
After reboot it greeted me with "UI failed to load. This is really embarrassing." Well, it sure is. The Remote Desktop Services solution doesn't work. And I can't perform Repair because it wants me to - quote: "Uninstall Windows Defender as it is incompatible with Avast." despite it being turned off for the process of Repair.
WTF. I CAN'T uninstall Defender from Windows 10. And even if I could I certainly wouldn't get rid of the one thing that works and protects my PC while Avast became an unresponsive garbage. I just wanted to say that as a long term user (been with Avast since 2006) I'm really disappointed. To this day I didn't have any problems and I was quite pleased with it (despite SafeZone silently installing or strange add-ons being installed into Firefox, but I'd just delete them and move on until next product update). But such behaviour is simply unacceptable. If not for Defender my PC would be just sitting out there completely vulnerable. It's sad to see what became of Avast in the last couple of years. It used be a simple and nice AV and now it's filled with bugs and bloatware. I'm seriously considering to stop bothering with Avast and giving Defender a chance.

REDACTED

Re: UI failed to load
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 02:59:46 PM »
I,\'m having the same problem. I got MS security update KB4103721 download and ever since then the Avast UI oops message appears. I uninstall the update and Avast UI starts. Also the Avast had just updated its program. What's going on??

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 03:59:52 PM »
I,\'m having the same problem. I got MS security update KB4103721 download and ever since then the Avast UI oops message appears. I uninstall the update and Avast UI starts. Also the Avast had just updated its program. What's going on??
-> https://support.avast.com/article/Troubleshoot-Antivirus-UI-Failed-load
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline A9n2n

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 04:25:18 PM »
Okay.
Seems like disabling hardware virtualiztion via Avast UI > Settings > Troubleshooting solved the problem (at least for now).
After Rebooting PC, Avast properly loaded and is working again.
But to think that such a serius bug would exist. I mean you had so much time to prepare for 1803 update. It would be somewhat acceptable in a beta version but on a finished product? <shakes my head>