Author Topic: Security Update Bug  (Read 3065 times)

Offline aviwil2

Security Update Bug
« on: May 14, 2018, 05:58:50 PM »
I today installed the latest Avast Free AV Program  update ( Security Update Available ) on my Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. After restarting , I could not log into my account with "The User Profile Service failed the logon" . Only way out of this was to do a System Restore .
Anyone else get this good one ?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Security Update Bug
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 06:57:29 PM »
I have this with Avast Internet Security on Win7 Pro SP1.  On restart after overinstalling the Avast update, I was unable to log into my Admin account.  I got the same error message.  However, I am able to log in and use the other profiles on this machine in a normal fashion.

I can open the Admin account in Windows Safe Mode.

WinPatrol did pop up with a new Avast startup item mentioning /Repair during the overinstall which I allowed.  It did this on 2 machines, with no ill effect on the other one.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:05:53 PM by Gopher John »
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 08:01:39 PM »
I had overinstalled Friday, and tried to log in to the Admin account twice after restarts. Then, I logged into a regular user account without issue and have been using the machine since.

Today, I logged in to the Admin account fine.  Minor miracle, the issue healed itself.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline aviwil2

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 07:39:51 AM »
Gopher John - healed itself - sounds good .
Think I'll wait a while , for a few more more Avast changes  , before daring another update .

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 09:45:13 PM »
I've experienced similar issues since this past Sunday.
Currently I can boot with no problem, but when I log into my user account, screen displays "Preparing Desktop". The problem is it is not my Desktop. How do I force the computer to pickup my correct desktop view / programs? I only have 1 user account before and after. Running Free AVAST, Win7-Pro SP1. Do not have a current image file available.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:59:58 PM by bluechipwi »

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 11:56:14 AM »
FIXED
Ran across a solution using ReProfile, a free program through Sourceforge.
It provides a view which allows the user to re-associate the correct account user to their user profile.
It does all the heavy lifting, including registry hive corrections and system / account permissions.

I only keep programs and required support files on my system drive, everything is stored on my other 4
drives on my desktop. I also do automatic backups for Firefox Profile and Thunderbird emails / profiles.
(but I didn't need them, ReProfiler managed correctly also).
This week will have to look at going back to Image files backup for my programs. I have been using w7 automatic backups daily ... but  "System Reserve" partition (100MB) got filled up and that prevents Image files from making to completion. Looking for any preferences for a third party Image Backup program Or a safe way to repair/increase the size of the of System reserve partition. Once I have a Image copy available, Avast will be permanently remove from my computer.       
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:02:52 PM by bluechipwi »