Author Topic: Does Avast Spam too Much?  (Read 5541 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Does Avast Spam too Much?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 04:07:49 PM »
I monitor many paid Avast systems and none of them gets any ads.
Provide some screenshots and I/we might be able to help you...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 04:23:10 PM »
Yes, but the point is being completely missed, why should I, a paid customer, have to disable SPAM (exactly what it is) from my antivirus program?  Then the irony, the program states it gets rid of spam and talks of getting rid of junk on your computer.  You cannot even make that stuff up!  I did disable them after ignoring the problem for a while but constantly having to shut off boxes on my lower screen that cover my video watching and forum sessions, not to mention my work, is not what I signed up for! 

I had to Google how to disable ads because I did not feel like menu diving and wanted to know how to do it without fuss.   But why should I have to take time out of my productivity to get rid of an annoyance?  I have better things to do and I am glad no other of the many programs on my computer do this to me. 

A lot of people are not computer savvy and do not realize you can go to a search engine and figure out how to do things.  They would not mess with the settings for fear of messing up the software. 

My mom is such a person, the ads are obtrusive, annoying, and a show of greed.  She would be likely afraid something was wrong or believe her subscription would not be working if she was getting ads.  In fact, I had to check my license when I activated my Premier license because even I thought it was peculiar I paid for Premier and was still getting ads!  Earlier versions of Avast Pro/Premier did not have this behavior and thus used to be better. 

If anything, you should have to enable the ads if you want them (but expect no one to use the option!).  Not have to dodge software bundles installing the program, then getting bombarded by upgrade offers while you are trying to enjoy using your computer or doing work from home!  Anyone who thinks this is not a problem has an obvious vested interest. 

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 04:32:56 PM »
While I appreciate the help offers, I already disabled them.  I never turned them on so that means it defaulted to display these upgrade ads.  I had to reinstall Windows 10 (and thus Avast Premier) and both times I was getting constant upgrade ads. 

I would not turn on such features so the installs you monitor must have already had the settings change to disable the ads.  They obviously default to being on.  I get:

-"You have 1.27 GB of junk data, click here to fix" (even though I have Ccleaner Pro)
-"You have 147 unprotected passwords, click here to fix" (Not!)
-"You have 10 programs out of date, click here to fix" (Not!)
-"Upgrade your protection" (Yet I have Premier)

Not exact wording but the jist of the pop ups that appear over what I am trying to do, even when I just have Avast running in the background (never clicked the icon or went into it, just active protection running). 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »
Well, we offered our help/support here - take it or leave it.
For venting contact Avast: https://support.avast.com/contact
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0