Author Topic: AVAST PRO & OUTPOST PRO PROCESS MEMORY CONTROL  (Read 3165 times)

losteno

AVAST PRO & OUTPOST PRO PROCESS MEMORY CONTROL
« on: June 27, 2006, 10:06:40 PM »
Hi.
I'm using Avast Pro  & Outpost Pro.
Is normal that I must to manually allow  "ASHMAISV.EXE" process in my firewall? (Process memory control panel)
If not Outlook Express don't works fine...
Another question...
Why if I check the NNTP protocol in Avast Outlook Express go in time-out when I'm reading/checking my newsgroup? (my server requires me to log on).
Many thanks and sorry for my terrible english  :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AVAST PRO & OUTPOST PRO PROCESS MEMORY CONTROL
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 12:14:00 AM »
Is normal that I must to manually allow  "ASHMAISV.EXE" process in my firewall? (Process memory control panel)
Manually... you mean each time you send/receive mail? No... Did you check the option for remember this setting in the OP window?

Why if I check the NNTP protocol in Avast Outlook Express go in time-out when I'm reading/checking my newsgroup? (my server requires me to log on).
Many thanks and sorry for my terrible english  :'(
Are you using the last avast version? 4.7.844
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 12:27:16 AM »
I would say it isn't normal that you have to allow ashMaiSv.exe in the Process memory control panel. Outpost Pro should only require ashMaiSv.exe to be a trusted application, that should be all that is required for ashMaiSv.exe to work.

Having looked at the Process memory control panel on my Outpost Pro settings, there is no entry for ashMaiSv.exe and there shouldn't be a need for it modify other applications memory, which is the purpose of this panel.

What is your operating system ?
I assume that your NNTP server requires you to logon which is fairly normal (unless it is your ISP news that can use your internet logon information) and if so it should be set-up in the OE Tools, Accounts, News, Properties, Server.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

losteno

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 10:00:03 AM »
Hi, thanks for help.
My OS is W2k Pro SP4 with all Microsoft Updates, Outpost version is 3.51.759.6511 and Avast is vers. 4.7.844. In the trusted application of Outpost I've "ASHMAISV.EXE" and only if I allow this process in process memory control all works fine. If not and I try to send/receive mail Outpost block me the process.  ??? ??? ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »
This is what I don't understand and it was the reason I posted the second image.

'The following processes can modify other applications memory' I simply can't see why ashMaiSv.exe does or would need to alter another applications memory. This I also assume is other trusted applications memory, bypassing the ticked additional security for Trusted applications of 'Block network access if an application memory was modified by another process.'

I'm baffled as to why this would be a requirement to make it work, firstly because I don't believe ashMaiSv.exe need to or alters other applications memory, but I don't know enough of the workings of avast to say this with any level of certainty. I just know it isn't a requirement on my system and the only difference really is the OS, I use XP Pro.

I had a problem some time ago with OP Pro blocking the ashWebSv.exe despite it being a trusted application. The only way I could resolve this was to delete the entry for it in trusted applications and have OP Pro ask again when I used it next and this worked. I suggest you try this and delete the entry for ashMaiSv.exe and when OP Pro asks again allow it trusted access and see if that resolves the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security