Author Topic: New Browser - Lost All My Shortcuts and Folders  (Read 9966 times)

REDACTED

New Browser - Lost All My Shortcuts and Folders
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:42:32 PM »
I am not a happy camper. Woke up this morning to find this new browser self installed and it did not keep any of my shortcuts and folders. I am pissed. Is there any way to go back to the old browser and find my shortcuts and folders? Importing bookmarks from other browsers is useless since I haven't used those in a very long time. I used my shortcuts all the time. Now I am lost.

REDACTED

Re: New Browser - Lost All My Shortcuts and Folders
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 08:53:10 PM »
I am not a happy camper. Woke up this morning to find this new browser self installed and it did not keep any of my shortcuts and folders. I am pissed. Is there any way to go back to the old browser and find my shortcuts and folders? Importing bookmarks from other browsers is useless since I haven't used those in a very long time. I used my shortcuts all the time. Now I am lost.

I feel you, mate! Same shit happened to me as well, and from the looks of it you need not wait for help - none will come.  :(

But if you happen to find a way about it by yourself, please PM me, since probably I will not be spending another week here hoping for a miracle!

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 05:11:10 PM »
same here , following

Offline ondrejz

• Browser QA Team
  • Avast team
    • Avast Secure Browser
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 10:59:20 AM »
Hi

I am sorry to hear that. This is not expected behavior. The import from SafeZone should be automatic but obviously it fails sometimes. Bookmarks and other data are backed up. Do not worry.

1. Please check your bookmarks bar in Secure browser. Is there any "SafeZone" folder on it?
2a. If not, please open the browser menu -> Bookmarks -> Import Bookmarks, select "SafeZone" and click Import
2b. Alternative way: When you open the Secure Browser, there should be an on-boarding screen displayed. You can select "Custom" and choose "SafeZone" from the drop-down menu

There is no way to install SafeZone again. The product development is discontinued. The new Secure Browser is a better and faster successor.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 12:04:44 AM »
There was no "automatic" installation of the Avast Secure Browser. Avast gave me the opportunity to download and install it. I did.

The Avast Secure Browser install app asked if I wanted to preserve all of my bookmarks, tabs, passwords, etcetera from SafeZone. I answered, "Yes!" Then, I was given a choice of Express (Recommended) or Custom Install (which had Internet Explorer grayed out). I figured my previous selection was the Express Install and went with that. WRONG!

NONE of my tabs (wish I had saved them to bookmarks!), bookmarks, passwords, etcetera were saved from SafeZone! Instead, only what I had in Internet Explorer, from years ago, were brought in to Avast Secure Browser. BOGUS!

In addition, whereas SafeZone (which was MUCH BETTER than the Avast Secure Browser!) allowed me to login to my Facebook and Twitter accounts and kept my login info for me, the Avast Secure Browser tells me over and over that there is NO SUCH ACCOUNT FOR MY EMAIL ADDRESS in both social networks! However, I am logged into both on my smartphone!!!

There was and is no SafeZone folder in the new Bookmarks bar. "Importing" SafeZone Bookmarks did NOTHING. Since there is no such as an "onboarding screen," there is also no such as "Custom" or "SafeZone" in a dropdown menu.

As far as my experience goes, the Avast Secure Browser is a piece of trash! Even Opera is far better than this. So, I have currently returned to using Firefox.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 01:01:34 AM »
Okay, when I "Imported" SafeZone Bookmarks, no old Bookmarks were added. However!

After i initially installed Avast Secure Browser, the only things listed in my History were files I had worked on with my computer and some files I had downloaded. NOW, however, after "Importing" SafeZone "Bookmarks," my missing tab history has been restored! This is confusing.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 11:28:54 PM »
after importing safe zone , bookmarks are still nowhere to be found, where would i find them if i try downloading them from my carbonite backup?

Offline gpaduska

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 01:30:42 PM »
SAME BAD DREAM....

Offline fronnie123

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 08:58:48 PM »
It appears that the shortcuts, etc. WERE transferred over to their respective folders with the update. The problem is that the shortcuts no longer appear all together as individual tiles when a browser tab is opened (like they did in the Safe Zone Browser). Since the update, you have to access these shortcut items through the browser menu, then select the bookmarks option, then the shortcuts option, then the folder location option, which brings you to a drop down list that you can scroll through to get to your intended item. NOT MUCH OF A SHORTCUT!!! Avast has taken away a really great, user-friendly feature. Is anyone at Avast listening?

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 07:32:27 AM »
Same here, on a side note, anyone else use the right-click>open incognito option on the pinned icon of the old version (Windows 10, desktop) and find it's now missing? Anyway of getting this back or do we have to go the long way round to open an incognito/stealth session? Really p***ing me off.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 07:36:38 AM »
See Reply #3 from Ondrej.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 09:57:37 AM »
I just got lumbered with the new secure browser on one of my laptops, been finding my way round it, all shortcuts lost, in my opinion this browser is awful not a patch on the old safezone.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 10:55:45 PM »
Today my browser got replaced by the new one, without even asking my confirmation.
Bookmarks got imported, however browsing history and open tabs got lost.
Hours of market research to find and prepare a few special things that I need to buy seem to be lost. 
Is there any way to recover them?  Can I download and reinstall the old browser and get them back?

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 09:14:02 AM »
I have been to import by browsing history.  However no way to restore my list list of open tabs.
It looks like that you (Avast) did not think (care) about it, and just threw them away (without warning the user in advance).

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 01:16:12 PM »

[Secure Browser] Kill all my daily Bookmarks this afternoon

WTF?

[Safezone] Auto-Upgrate to [Secure Browser] without my agreement
And all my Daily-used Bookmarks (include Passwords) are disappeared. (Chrome based interface)
Where can I find my Daily-used?