Author Topic: I would love to have a block option for detected malware.  (Read 2036 times)

Offline cheater87

I would love to have a block option for detected malware.
« on: May 19, 2018, 03:03:35 AM »
Right now we have an option to delete, disinfect, quartine but no block it from running, I would love to see this featured.
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: I would love to have a block option for detected malware.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 10:20:55 AM »
Can you give an example (with more details) that you have seen ?

If avast alerts it should stop it in its tracks even if you choose an option to do nothing, it won't let you run it unless you have created an exception (and that wouldn't be wise).  So by default it is blocking.

If it is a virus, why wouldn't you choose to send it to the virus chest ?
This gives time for analysis and to send to the avast virus labs if you feel it might be an FP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cheater87

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 01:11:30 PM »
Like have it block it from running, kind of how the hardened mode is, but for malware detections instead of unknown files.
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 01:32:35 PM »
It already does stop it from running as soon as it alerts.  A file to be scanned by the on-access scanners, first has to be run, modified, etc.  Even for the hardened mode

Are you seeing something that avast alerts on yet allows you to run it ?

If so, provide details.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cheater87

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 04:53:08 PM »
No, it can quarantine just fine, I would just love to see block as an option to choose as well.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 06:48:24 PM »
What is the difference, in order to have been sent to the virus chest, it must have been scanned. In order to be scanned it must first be created (downloaded usually), modified or run.

So if run and is detected then it is already blocked.  Why you would want to keep a file that has just been detected to remain in place.

I suggest you spend some time checking out the avast settings for the File System Shield, as I don't allow autonomous action.  Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted ;)

Offline cheater87

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 12:34:09 AM »
What is the difference, in order to have been sent to the virus chest, it must have been scanned. In order to be scanned it must first be created (downloaded usually), modified or run.

So if run and is detected then it is already blocked.  Why you would want to keep a file that has just been detected to remain in place.

I suggest you spend some time checking out the avast settings for the File System Shield, as I don't allow autonomous action.  Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted ;)

Yup looked there and there is delete, quarantine, ask, disinfect but no block from running.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 12:50:05 AM »
As I keep saying if you leave it where it is avast won't allow it to be run, as soon as you would try to tun it avast would get in on the act again.

Though it is beyond me why you would want an action to leave it in place and just block it.  If there is any doubt send it to the virus chest and then investigate, send for analysis, etc.