Author Topic: A strange file  (Read 2530 times)

ahocat

A strange file
« on: June 28, 2006, 05:59:54 AM »
I found a strange file in by USB-card. It was detected as a virus by Norton AntiVirus. But Avast cannot detect it.

Should I provide it to Avast?

mauserme

Re: A strange file
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 06:28:57 AM »
Sure, but you could also submit the file Jotti to see what other AV's say about it:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

btw, two resident AV's on the same same computer is not a good idea as it could cause conflicts.  You should decide on one and uninstall the other(s).

ahocat

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 06:34:24 AM »
Sure, but you could also submit the file Jotti to see what other AV's say about it:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

btw, two resident AV's on the same same computer is not a good idea as it could cause conflicts.  You should decide on one and uninstall the other(s).

Thank you. It's a virus named SillyFDC.

How can I provide it to Avast?

I only use Avast in my computer. Norton is in another computer.

mauserme

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 06:53:13 AM »
Avast! has had a detection for SillyFDC-B since March 22, 2006 but this could be a different variant or it might be false positive on the part of Norton.

You can zip the file, password protect it, and email to virus@avast.com.  Put the password and an explanation of why you're sending the submission in the body of the email.

If you get a chance, though, it would be interesting to know what Jotti says.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 04:21:36 PM »
Open the avast virus chest - right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, Menu, Virus Chest, then click on the User Files icon, File, Add, then from the navigation window select the file. Once in the chest, right click on the file and select email to ALWIL software. Enter some information on the problem, that you think it is an undetected virus and send.

Or if you are not getting a virus warning that you believe is a new, undetected virus then if you can zip and password protect ('virus', will do) the suspect file and send it to virus @ avast.com (no spaces).

Give a brief outline of the problem (possibly a link to this thread), the fact that you believe it to be a either a new, undetected virus and include the password in the body of the email. Some info on the avast version and VPS number (see about avast {right click avast icon}) will also help.

Sending from the chest seems less complex.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security