Author Topic: Opera Email Problem Related to Avast??  (Read 2146 times)

PocketGoddess

Opera Email Problem Related to Avast??
« on: June 28, 2006, 03:26:26 PM »
I really need some help!!!

When I turned on my computer this morning and started Opera, I found that I had a LOT of missing email messages (everything from this month, though it appears that older messages are untouched). I searched Opera's knowledgebase and it seems that this is a known problem with virus scanners:

"Lost messages can be caused by over-protective antivirus programs that remove Opera's storage files without warning the user.

If you experience lost e-mail messages, or the content is missing and "Message body not downloaded" is shown instead, it is possible that your antivirus program has removed a mailbox file used by Opera. Norton AntiVirus is known to do this, and it is not possible for Opera to automatically prevent it from doing so."

I've never had any problems with Avast, I love the program, but I must assume that this problem must be related to Avast. I know that the virus database and the app itself have been updated in the last day or so (got the popup message yesterday afternoon) so it's possible that the latest update caused this.

Opera's suggest fix is restoring the files quarantined by the antivirus app, but I can't find any sort of quarantine area for Avast.

Is there any way to get my mail back????

Technical details:

Windows XP Pro service pack 2
Avast Home version 4.7
VPS file version 0626-2, compilation date 6/28/06

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Opera Email Problem Related to Avast??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 03:31:51 PM »
Unless you specifically set avast! to "silent mode", it would always pop up a warning when it detects a virus - and ask you what to do. It doesn't silently remove the stuff on background.

If you set it to silent mode, you should find the removed objects in avast! Chest.

PocketGoddess

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 03:35:09 PM »
How do I find the Avast Chest??

I've just set it to run in the background, updating itself as it likes.

I've tried clicking all the options I can find on the system tray icon, but there doesn't seem to be anything called the "chest"

I looked at the logs and such, and couldn't find anything obvious. I honestly don't think it's a virus, as 98% of the messages that are now missing didn't have attachments and had been read, responded to, etc. over the course of several weeks. I don't know what could have triggered the problem, but since Opera knows about it and says it's related to AV software it must have something to do with Avast.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 03:55:51 PM »
Start avast! Antivirus from your Start Menu, rightclick on the Simple User Interface window and select "Virus Chest" from the popup menu.

In my opinion, however, the missing messages have nothing to do with avast! (the Opera article is just a general comment) - so I don't think you'll find anything there.

By "silent mode" I meant the configuration of the resident provider (Internet Mail, in particular), not the automatic updates.