Author Topic: WinXP will not run the new May release avast  (Read 4634 times)

REDACTED

WinXP will not run the new May release avast
« on: May 20, 2018, 06:18:58 AM »
I have been running Avast free version for ~ 8 years mostly on XP platforms. After the last update it will no longer load and run.
I check task manager - no sign of avast.
I tried repairing it uninstalling it (both windows & Avast uninstallers) deleting it reinstalling it online and from standalone but it refuses to run/install properly.
So I decided to finally go to the opposition and downloaded AVG. As soon as it started to install I had to check that I had not mistakenly reloaded avast - sure enough it is almost identical now (apparently Avast recently acquired AVG). And no surprise it wont work either.
The only hint that all is not well is that when the installing progress line gets to ~ 95% a message pops up saying microsoft could not locate the bluetooth installer????  I dont have any bluetooth hardware installed - both AVG and Avast trigger this message.
I tried AvastRescue but there were an endless list of missing DLL's. I located & replaced all the missing ones but then it vomited a message about I think commui.dll with a load of characters that made no sense so I give up.
Am I alone here or is anyone else experiencing similar issues with XP ??  AVG/Avast

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: WinXP will not run the new May release avast
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 10:42:55 AM »
As far I'm concerned , I don't have any problems with XP and last update (no more for an other user DavidR)

But it seems that there has been since the last update a rising number of reports of this type of problem on XP : rather "UI fail to load" than no more avast services in use like for you.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=219087.msg1461976#msg1461976
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=219142.0
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=219094.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:28:02 PM »
I have just the same problems as Mike666 and I've tried the same actions without success!
Let's hope, that this bug will be fixed, so that an installation will be possible again for Windows xP SP3 ...

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 12:49:36 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I admit I spat the dummy tonight and loaded an antivirus program starting with a K and ending in Y (no not jelly) it loaded perfectly and is running fine in the background now.
I hope Avast fixes the issue as I am very comfortable with it - but I would sense that as this specific issue is with an outdated operating system and also using Avast free antivirus I suspect the care and urgency factor to be quite low - if it even registers at all ! Happy computing all.

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 12:48:40 PM »
Hi edur, Mike666,
can you take a look into C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log and send us all files with *.dmp or *.mdmp extensions.
Please zip them into one file (avast_ui_xp_crash_younick_.zip) and upload them into avast ftp.
It will help us to resolved the issue. Thank you

Offline Shamino

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 10:42:03 PM »
Kwiq, are you sure you have the right path? On my machine there is no C:\ProgramData. Would the path be more like C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log ?
Or maybe "All Users" replaced by user name?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:49:52 PM by Shamino »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 11:23:48 PM »
Kwiq, are you sure you have the right path? On my machine there is no C:\ProgramData. Would the path be more like C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log ?
Or maybe "All Users" replaced by user name?

It should be there, it is on my XP Pro SP3 system, see image.
I don't know what your folder settings may be, but it may be a hidden folder under windows XP - Explorer - Tools > Folder Options > Hidden Files and Folders - ensure that 'show hidden files and folders' option is enabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Shamino

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 12:55:06 AM »
Yes I do have the directory structure your screenshot shows. That was my point. What I was getting at was that at least on my XP machine there is no directory C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log that Kwiq told people to look at and not even its superstructure C:\ProgramData. This directory structure does not exist on my machine and I suspect not on other XPs either.  On Windows 7 this C:\ProgramData with subdirectories does exist, but this topic deals with XP exclusively.

Offline Shamino

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 01:10:30 AM »
On my XP machine Avast is working, and the reason for that is that it is program version 18.3.2333 AND that program update is set to Manual update so the problematic newer version of the program has no chance to get installed. If it gets installed, it leads to "UI Failed to load" situation. That is if no fix has been done since my last update attempt. For now I will stay with version 18.3.2333 and all is well. :)

Offline Shamino

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 01:22:23 AM »
One thing I forgot: the Avast offline installer that I have used is not worth its name when using Windows XP: it requires internet connection when it is running or the installation will fail.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 02:23:18 AM »
Yes I do have the directory structure your screenshot shows. That was my point. What I was getting at was that at least on my XP machine there is no directory C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log that Kwiq told people to look at and not even its superstructure C:\ProgramData. This directory structure does not exist on my machine and I suspect not on other XPs either.  On Windows 7 this C:\ProgramData with subdirectories does exist, but this topic deals with XP exclusively.

My image 1 (click to expand) shows the path you should be looking for:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »
@DavidR

Shamino seems to well know that , it was not his remark

the remark was that kwiq had not indicated the right path for xp users, he gave "C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log", which is the path of other OS (W7, W8, W10) .

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 08:47:30 AM »
Hi Shamino,
I forgot that there isnt program data folder in windows XP :-( but as others suggested try to look into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log.
Thank you

Offline Shamino

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 01:20:16 AM »
Ok no big deal. I am just trying to help you to support Windows XP so we get
to have Avast protection for a little longer.

I understand this is ultimately a losing battle as XP is used by less and less people.
My main reason for using Avast is that you still support XP sp3. Thank you for that.