Author Topic: UI fails to load in Win XP after all the tweaks to Services  (Read 4326 times)

Offline aharris2

Apparently the latest updates of Avast Free Antivirus cause a problem for Windows in which the UI does not load. Some postings indicate that fixes have been made, at least for Win10. However, on XP (SP3), version 18.4.3895.0 still has the problem. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, and repaired. I have made all the suggested tweaks to "Services" (background intelligent transfer service; terminal services; remote desktop service), but the problem remains. Perhaps there needs to be an additional update that will fix XP.

I have been happily using Avast Anti-Virus for many years without a problem - this is clearly an issue with the current versions for Windows.

Does anyone has any further suggestions? Can someone from Avast address the problem?

Thank you

REDACTED

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: UI fails to load in Win XP after all the tweaks to Services
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 03:16:29 PM »
This seems to be currently a problem for many (but probably not all?) Windows xP SP3 users:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=219142.0
This is this one  ;)

Offline aharris2

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 04:38:59 AM »
I would really like someone from Avast to pay attention to this.

In the meantime, can someone provide a link to an offline 18.3 installation file so that I at least have some protection until Avast gets fixed?

thanks

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:11:09 AM »
In the meantime, can someone provide a link to an offline 18.3 installation file so that I at least have some protection until Avast gets fixed?
Officially there is none, since the last offline installer that fully supports XP is that for the 17.3.3443 version and they only provide one for the current one.
I found a copy uploaded by another user in here, just look for it in the forum.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 12:44:24 PM »

Just have a look on the first link posted by edur higher where you can find the link published by avast for "Premier" and "AIS", if you want the free version it will just replace "avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe" ... the old version 18.3 is for once officially published by avast  ;)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 01:24:01 PM »
Just have a look on the first link posted by edur higher where you can find the link published by avast for "Premier" and "AIS", if you want the free version it will just replace "avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe" ... the old version 18.3 is for once officially published by avast  ;)
Side note: Offline installation is officially no longer supported on Vista and XP (since V17.3) because new CEF (only one bundled in offline installer because of size) is not supported there and the online installer will download the correct CEF version.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 01:42:42 PM »

Perhaps this off line version will work for the time being. Just a matter of Google search

http://www.filepuma.com/download/avast_free_antivirus_18.3.2333-18857/download/

Marcel

Offline aharris2

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 05:04:11 PM »
this link:
http://public.avast.com/supp/old_versions/18_3/avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe

works fine, except that installation does use a web connection, and then automatically updates to the latest and problematic 18.4

This is the issue mentioned in the sidenote from Asyn note.

Here is a "hack" to get around it and end up with a functional version of 18.3:

One must start the installer without a web connection, wait until it stalls, then activate a web connection, wait until its CPU usage drops, then disconnect the web connection and let the installer complete. That results in a functional 18.3 installation, which does not have the UI problem. Then go into settings and adjust so that updates are not automatically installed, then activate the web connection again.  Then manually update to the latest virus definitions.

Then, I suppose, monitor the forum to see if and when the problems with 18.4 get fixed.....

As I said, I hope the Avast will pay some attention to this problem introduced in 18.4.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 06:33:27 PM »
Side note: Offline installation is officially no longer supported on Vista and XP (since V17.3) because new CEF (only one bundled in offline installer because of size) is not supported there and the online installer will download the correct CEF version.
Isn't it possible to stop automatic update for program before (on 18.4).
Uninstall 18.4.
Then install 18.3 Offline installer (with online connexion) ?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 05:41:41 AM »
Isn't it possible to stop automatic update for program before (on 18.4).
Uninstall 18.4.
Then install 18.3 Offline installer (with online connexion) ?
Probably not, as soon as you uninstall Avast the settings are also gone.
But you could try the suggested "hack" from aharris2 (Reply #8).
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0