Author Topic: Spam email sent from my email address to contacts from my address book - virus?  (Read 1376 times)

REDACTED

Hello,

Just as the topic says...I got returned email notifications in my inbox for a bunch of emails apparently sent from email address with spam links in them. There were no items in my sent folder however. I would just put it down to spoofing, but the emails were sent to old contacts from my address book, so I was concerned I might have a virus or worm or something (and they were a mix of contacts that would only have come from my own address book, not another friend's).

I have attached the malwarebytes log and FRST logs to this topic. My Avast scan came up clean. My spybot scan cleaned up a couple of cookies and registry logs.

Thanks in advance!

REDACTED

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Your logs are clean except for the Booking.com PUP that Malwarebytes found.  What email are you using; web based like Gmail or through your ISP?  Do you use only a webmail (browser type email interface) or a program like Outlook or Thunderbird?
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

Hi, thanks for looking!

I use only an online email service that I use through firefox and also an app on my phone (I scanned that just in case too and it was clean). I don't use outlook or anything like that, I go straight through a browser.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Cool; thanks for the information.  In this case I would change the password for the email account (if you have not already done so) and keep an eye out for any 'additional added apps' that get installed when you add or update any programs.

You can delete FRST and any log files it has made (both on the desktop and in C:\FRST folder) but I would leave the Malware-bytes scanner on your system as a second opinion scanner.
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

Hi there,

Thanks for that....just puts my mind at rest :)