Author Topic: Unable to automatcially update virus database  (Read 5074 times)

X

Unable to automatcially update virus database
« on: June 28, 2006, 02:00:49 PM »
Since the last update of Avast my system is unable to automatically update the virus database, each morning I receive the red box error notice stating an error occurred.  However I am able to update if I do it manually.  Is there a fix for this? I've attached the Avast error log file, hopefully it will provide some clues.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: Unable to automatcially update virus database
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 02:15:19 PM »
Have you tried a repair of Avast
Start/Control Panel/Add Remove Programs/Avast/Change remove
Scroll down to Repair ( You must be online to do this) /Reboot

Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 02:52:08 PM »
Each morning I receive the red box error notice stating an error occurred.
Just change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast4.ini file.
You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.

More details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 05:01:57 PM »
Interesting reading in your Log the detections of the Outpost Pro anti-spyware plug-in signature database files.

The plug-in is from Lavasoft and is based on AdAware, so if you have AdAware and or any other anti-spyware tools this plug-in could be redundant, not only that it scans lots of files on boot and as such avast will also scan those files so your boot times could be very long. I have long since disabled this plug-in as I have adequate anti-spyware protection in the form of AdAware, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, even thought they are only set to on-demand on my system. I also use an alternative to IE (firefox or opera) that with activeX, BHOs and being integrated into the OS is highly susceptible to malware.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

X

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 08:13:23 PM »
Just home for lunch and see I have replies, thanks to everyone! 

Have you tried a repair of Avast
No I haven't, I will try this if the other suggestions do not fix my issue.

Just change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast4.ini file.
Thank you I will try this tonight when I'm home from work for the evening!

Interesting reading in your Log the detections of the Outpost Pro anti-spyware plug-in signature database files.

The plug-in is from Lavasoft and is based on AdAware, so if you have AdAware and or any other anti-spyware tools this plug-in could be redundant, not only that it scans lots of files on boot and as such avast will also scan those files so your boot times could be very long. I have long since disabled this plug-in as I have adequate anti-spyware protection in the form of AdAware, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, even thought they are only set to on-demand on my system
Excellent suggestion, sounds like my system is configured similarly to yours!  I also have Spybot S&D as well as SpywareBlaster so I will disable this as well and see if it shortens my boot times any.  Thanks for speaking up!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 08:18:56 PM »
Your welcome, I think you will see a difference the Scanned count: figure in standard shield detailed view for me is less than 100 after the avast icon stops rotating after boot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

X

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 08:29:23 PM »
Ok took a little extra time to look at my avast4.ini file. 

This is what I see in the file for [InetWD]:

[InetWD]
UseRAS=0
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1

I'm assuming the part I've highlighted in red is what I'm supposed to change but it's already set to "Assume Always Connected", should I still change it to read
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds
and change the value to 60?  Just want to make sure before I change the value.  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 08:46:24 PM »
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
is a different setting then AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds.
You need to add this:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=60

So, your avast4.ini file will have these two lines:
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=60

Boot  8)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 02:50:09 AM by Tech »

X

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 12:21:25 AM »
Thanks Tech!  The line's been added, now we'll see if she updates correctly tomorrow morning. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 02:50:35 AM »
Thanks Tech!  The line's been added, now we'll see if she updates correctly tomorrow morning. 
You don't have to wait until tomorrow... just boot  ;D

X

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 02:28:38 PM »
:P D'oh!  Of course I coulda rebooted!   :P

Anyway it didn't update this morning so I'll be trying the repair next.  In case it helps, I did a screen print of the error message I've been receiving when it fails to automatically update and have attached it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 03:06:05 PM »
Anyway it didn't update this morning so I'll be trying the repair next.  In case it helps, I did a screen print of the error message I've been receiving when it fails to automatically update and have attached it.
Do you use any firewall?
Can you download servers.def file (http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def) and replace the one here C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 03:47:26 PM »

This looks like the firewall (which one ?) blocking avast.setup rather than the original problem of:
12/22/2005 11:41:25 PM   SYSTEM   1856   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0xC0000142, dwRes is C0000142. 
12/22/2005 11:41:25 PM   SYSTEM   1856   An error has occured while attempting to update. Please check the logs.