Author Topic: Windows 10 failed update to 1803, maybe an Avast problem?  (Read 88466 times)

Offline janekm

Re: Windows 10 failed update to 1803, maybe an Avast problem?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 08:36:08 PM »
its a shame that until now there is no recommendation what to do from AVAST . No useful response, no information.
I personally am going to follow the steps from reddit forum (thecomputercellar).

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 09:23:16 PM »
@Navyy: can you please compress (7zip/rar) the entire Panther folder and upload it somewhere (e.g. Avast FTP instructions: https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/FTP-file-upload
Thanks!

Offline Navvy

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 11:51:39 PM »
@pk
I've just uploaded the entire compressed Panther folder 11.6MB (246MB uncompressed).  The filename contains my email address as suggested, so search for "wrgbitm".

Hope it's worked, as I simply used Edge to drag & drop into the ftp.avast.com/incoming folder.

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 07:29:43 AM »
setupact.log + setuperr.log should be enough

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 07:48:13 AM »
Navvy: the log is from successful W10 1803 upgrade.

Offline davews

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 08:26:13 AM »
No issues updating to 1803 here, Avast not even disabled before the update. But still on 18.3.2333, not sure if it is a 18.4.2338 issue. Won't be updating till it is sorted...

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 09:28:13 PM »
My computer did the Windows update early this morning, and it made a total mess of things. It got close to completion after several restarts and then started asking me to choose a language for the keyboard. Every time I selected one, it restarted and asked again. As others have reported, my options were very limited. I couldn't use system restore, or repair, but could boot up from an older version, but I got a black desktop with just a recycle bin in the corner, and trying to open explorer resulted in something about a token error.

I discovered the website link somebody posted earlier, suggesting it was Avast that was causing the conflict. I downloaded the removal software on a USB, deleted Avast using the task manager, and then downloaded the 1803 update (about 4.4gig) from a neighbour's computer, because my terrible internet connection was telling me it would take 6 days! I extracted the contents of the ISO onto a USB stick, ran the setup.exe via task manager again, and am very thankful to have my computer back up and running this evening.
I've been using Avast almost since its inception, but sadly after this I won't be returning. It's been a very disruptive and stressful day.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 09:34:22 PM »
DANGER!!! DANGER!!! DANGER!!! DANGER!!! DANGER!!!

I tried to fix this problem myself by reinstalling Windows 10 and asking it to keep my applications and files. It DELETED ALL MY PERSONAL FILES. I know that for many others this solution did work but it really depends how screwed up the update was. In my case it seems that it never backed up my user files to windows.old as it is supposed to do and then it restored empty directories instead of my desktop, documents, videos, pictures, etc.

Microsoft support says they will have a solution in a couple days and will then help me restore my files. I doubt they will be able to as even EASEUS can't find them. But in any case, I recommend others to wait a couple days if they can to see if they can get a proper fix.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 09:46:47 PM »
The same thing happened to one of my computers today

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 09:57:05 PM »
I have wasted a whole day trying to get the computer restarted- I resorted to wiping the disk and starting with a clean install - now Avast won't instal because avchrome.dll is missing

Very very annoyed

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 10:04:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

In cooperation with Microsoft we have identified an element of the latest Windows 10 1803 update that is incompatible with the Avast Behavior Shield, causing the aforementioned update to fail in some instances (related to a timing issue, Internet connectivity issue, etc). Luckily, we have found a way to prevent the problem and are now automatically pushing a VPS update to all customers which makes sure that the problem doesn't happen.  The VPS number is 180524-08; all users running this version (or later) should be 100% safe.

For those who've been already affected by the issue, here are step-by-step instructions to bring your computer back to life.
If done properly, no files or data will be lost and no apps will disappear (= computer will be back to normal).

Things you will need:
- 8GB or larger blank USB stick
- a functioning Windows PC to use briefly (another computer in your home, a friend’s computer, even one at a library or print shop)
- about an hour of time

Steps:
1. Turn on the problem computer.
2. At the blue screen, choose your keyboard layout’s language. (e.g. "US")
3. Choose "Use another operating system".
4. Choose the second option, "Windows 10 on volume X" (X stands for a number)
5. Wait for the computer to boot to the desktop (if necessary, enter your password to login). You may have to wait a long time for the desktop to appear, while the "update" gets ready.
6. Once the desktop attempts to load, close any error messages that appear.
7. On a functioning Windows PC, go to www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.
8. In the "Create Windows 10 installation media" section, click "Download tool now".
9. Run the tool you downloaded, and follow the simple steps to create a Windows 10 installation USB stick. This will erase any existing contents of your USB drive. The only option you should check is to make sure it is a 64-bit or 32-bit version. Your computer is MOST LIKELY 64-bit if it's reasonably new.
10. On the problem computer, right-click any blank area on the taskbar, then click "Task Manager".
11. Click "More details" so that you can see the menu bar.
12. Click "File".
13. Click "Run new task".
14. In the dialog box that appears, check the box "Create this task with administrative privileges"/
15. Click "Browse…"
16. Navigate to your USB drive and select "setup.exe".
17. Run the file and follow the steps to "upgrade" Windows. Uncheck the boxes for "check for new updates" and to "help make this version better". If you are asked what you want to keep, make sure you tell it to keep everything!
18. Let the process run, which may take some time. Once completed, the computer should be back to normal, and fully up-to-date. You may need to re-login to your Microsoft Account.

(instructions provided by The Computer Cellar, many thanks for that!)

In the meantime, we continue to investigate the this issue which appears to affect only a small subset of our customers.
BTW at this stage, we know it's not an Avast-specific issue as the problem affects other software as well. The instructions above should work in all cases.

Many thanks,
Vlk
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:09:09 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 11:28:41 PM »
Hi Vik
Some additional info which i hope will be useful......
Following on from corrupted win10 1803 update, pc reset and ending up with a working win10 ver 1803 that had removel all my installed software including ms office pro 2010.  I tried many times to reinstall, using different media but each time office got to 65%, whizzed to 100% briefly, rolled back to 50% and then gave "microsoft office pro 2010 encountered an error during setup" and a close button.  I ran various fixes to no avail.

Believing it was a win10 1803 corruption problem I gave up and completely rebuilt my PC with win10 1709 dvd i had made in march 2018.  The rebuild went well and surprising tho it may seem the Feature Update to Win10 ver 1803 via windows update worked perfectly.  However, on then trying to install ms office pro 2010 on this new build it failed at the same point and with the same error as the original build!!  I tried multiple times with various copies of the media.

So as this rebuild sort of proved this error had not been caused by the corrupt 1803 build I then temporarily disabled all Avast (free) anti-virus shields and re-tried the MS Office install and it completed without error!  I have never had to disable shields in the past but maybe this new version of Avast (ver18.4.2338 build 18.43895.0) is the problem.

To further confirm it is an Avast problem when windows update found an additional cumulative 1803 update and a number of office updates these to failed to install.... Again i did 'Retry' a couple of times resulting in the same Failed to install' error.

Switched off Avast shields and re-tried windows updates and they All Installed.

Conclusion:-  Avast Free ver18.4.2338 build 18.43895.0 will Not allow any fresh update/install to Office Pro 2010 on a Win 10 1803 build.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 12:40:57 AM »
Hi Vik
Some additional info which i hope will be useful......
Following on from corrupted win10 1803 update, pc reset and ending up with a working win10 ver 1803 that had removel all my installed software including ms office pro 2010.  I tried many times to reinstall, using different media but each time office got to 65%, whizzed to 100% briefly, rolled back to 50% and then gave "microsoft office pro 2010 encountered an error during setup" and a close button.  I ran various fixes to no avail.

Believing it was a win10 1803 corruption problem I gave up and completely rebuilt my PC with win10 1709 dvd i had made in march 2018.  The rebuild went well and surprising tho it may seem the Feature Update to Win10 ver 1803 via windows update worked perfectly.  However, on then trying to install ms office pro 2010 on this new build it failed at the same point and with the same error as the original build!!  I tried multiple times with various copies of the media.

So as this rebuild sort of proved this error had not been caused by the corrupt 1803 build I then temporarily disabled all Avast (free) anti-virus shields and re-tried the MS Office install and it completed without error!  I have never had to disable shields in the past but maybe this new version of Avast (ver18.4.2338 build 18.43895.0) is the problem.

To further confirm it is an Avast problem when windows update found an additional cumulative 1803 update and a number of office updates these to failed to install.... Again i did 'Retry' a couple of times resulting in the same Failed to install' error.

Switched off Avast shields and re-tried windows updates and they All Installed.

Conclusion:-  Avast Free ver18.4.2338 build 18.43895.0 will Not allow any fresh update/install to Office Pro 2010 on a Win 10 1803 build.
If more folks had only followed these instructions. https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=156141.msg1459636#msg1459636
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 09:33:54 AM »
Hi Bob3160,
I too wished i had first looked at page 115 of the thread you suggested prior to starting the Restart after my pc had downloaded the update.    Unfortunately i didnt as i have never had a problem previously with any of the large updates - hey ho  ;D

A question though please.......  Why after a fresh rebuild and with Avast active would a clean install of Office not work?  I could install Adobe, MWBytes, Realplayer etc etc etc but not Office whilst Avast shields were active. Plus later on would not install the office specific win updates again without shields disabled??  I have never had to disable shields to allow an Office install previously.  What has changed with Avast?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Offline black_coffee

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 09:42:55 AM »
since windows 10 version 1703, microsoft have recommend the following step when user receive major updated https://www.groovypost.com/howto/prepare-computer-windows-10-creators-update-version-1703/
i7-7500U/ 32GB RAM/ 512GB SSD/ Windows 10 Pro v1803 64bit