Author Topic: Windows 10 failed update to 1803, maybe an Avast problem?  (Read 88622 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Windows 10 failed update to 1803, maybe an Avast problem?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 02:26:16 PM »
Hi Bob3160,
I too wished i had first looked at page 115 of the thread you suggested prior to starting the Restart after my pc had downloaded the update.    Unfortunately i didnt as i have never had a problem previously with any of the large updates - hey ho  ;D

A question though please.......  Why after a fresh rebuild and with Avast active would a clean install of Office not work?  I could install Adobe, MWBytes, Realplayer etc etc etc but not Office whilst Avast shields were active. Plus later on would not install the office specific win updates again without shields disabled??  I have never had to disable shields to allow an Office install previously.  What has changed with Avast?

Any thoughts would be appreciated
A question that needs to be addressed to Avast. not to an Avast user. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Navvy

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »
@vlk

A few comments on your advice about how to recover a corrupted computer.

Firstly, the Media Creation Tool wasn't able to work correctly on a FAT32 USB flash drive of 16GB, as described previously.  I had to use Rufus to install an ISO onto the same USB drive formatted as NTFS.

Secondly, on the problem computer, right-click (or left-click) wasn't working on the Desktop.  I don't remember whether I tried it on the Taskbar, but it certainly didn't work on the Windows icon.  It changed the appearance of the Windows icon, but did nothing.

I had to force the problem computer to boot from the USB drive, and there wasn't an option to upgrade an existing Windows.  Recovering didn't work, and I had to do a clean install and lost the pre-installed MS Office and all other programs.

A suggestion - why doesn't Avast use the notification popup to warn people that there is a problem with the Update?  The popup could include a link to the relevant post on the forum.  Most Avast users won't even know the forum exists, until it is too late.

REDACTED

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 08:39:42 PM »
It is actually possible to resolve the entire thing without another computer or even without using a USB stick. Or at least, it was for me - I did briefly need my phone, but that was due to an additional problem which not everyone may encounter.

What I did (after many hours of searching online for solutions) is as follows:
- Login to your account on the corrupted computer (as per Vlk's steps 1-5), but you don't need to click away the error messages (just Alt-Tab them)
- Hit Ctrl Alt Del, then open Task Manager
- Go to Users tab, right click your account, select Manage User Accounts (If you don't see any accounts listed, try signing out and in again)
- This will open a Control Panel window, where you click the arrow pointing up until you get to an Explorer window, from where you should be able to open a web browser, access your downloads folder, etc.
- Then download the update as per steps 7-9, but select the ISO version, download and save directly onto your computer.
- Mount the ISO (right clicking on the downloaded .iso file should give you a 'Mount' option), then run setup.exe

I had the additional problem that the Media Creation tool wouldn't work on my computer, blocking me from downloading the update. I finally found an article ( https://www.askvg.com/tip-get-direct-download-links-of-windows-10-iso-from-microsoft/ ) explaining that there is actually a way to bypass the tool entirely and directly download the ISO update, but you can only access the direct download link if you open it from an OS that isn't Windows 10. Any phone with internet access should do the job, and will allow you to email yourself the direct download link, which you can then use from your affected Windows 10 computer to start downloading the file. Once it's on the computer, mount it and run setup.exe . 

REDACTED

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 06:14:14 AM »
Hi Avast! I had been messaging MS ever since my Windows 10 system completely crashed with the described symptoms.  No adequate response from them.

I am not sure who exactly is to blame, considering the oblivious difference in scales between MS and you, I would rather chose MS. Especially since I read on MS forums and on reddit that many affected users never has anything to do with any of your products?!?!

Their developers were acting... not sure if IRRESPONSIBLE is enough in its meaning. It is a sad, very sad story.

The notorious Windows 10 1803 update - that I have been trying to avaiod - but didnt really realize how deadly it would be, finally pushed to my system at about 22h 0n 24th may.  After hours of rage - I finally managed to load a previously stored image backup from a WD external device and to restore the system to a February 2018. I didnt know where exactly to search the web for possible solutions, just tested almost all the available options after the Choose your keyboard screen. Didnt have another PC to assist the steps from MS and reddit, only my android phone at hand...

I have been using avast almost ever since its birth back in time, on all my devices. Since I can not get rid of MS - because of obvious reasons, I just parted with avast.

This horrible situation never happened to me before.

Now that I read here, on reddit and on MS- that days before me - the problem had been already reported - by hundreds, located, MS pretending they would stop the update from pushing into further Avast installed PCs days before 24th, you here saying before my personal disaster - had been pushing avast fix update - again before my disaster - sounds - how to call it? ... lame? Nothing of all that reached me. And My pc was restarted same morning of 24th of may - nothing, it stayed on - all day long on 24th of may with stable internet connection?!?!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 06:25:00 AM by Miglena »

Offline MaxLV

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 11:13:32 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for reporting. We are working hard on reproducing the issue here, but so far no issue found with Avast at our test machines. Definitely, it seems that all affected users were also using Windows at the time of the attempted update, so that is also a possible suspect. I'll update here once we find more info. Thanks!
Lukas.

I updated my two computers to 1803 on the Microsoft release day while running Avast Internet Security. Both computers were updated through Windows Update, it took about 20 minutes for both computers, and I haven't had any problems with them.

I didn't disable Avast, or any of the shields, or make any special preparations for the update to 1803. I have also updated the two quality updates Microsoft has released since the update to 1803, one being KB4100347: Intel microcode updates on 18/05/2018, and KB4100403 (OS Build 17134.81) released on May 23rd again without any problems or preparation to do the updates other than making sure my file/folder backups, and disk image backups were all up to date.

BTW I also run Malware bytes alongside Avast, and use Windows Defender's manual scan option once a week as a 'second opinion' scan of my computers.

This is just to let you know that not all Avast users are having these problems...

Offline Navvy

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2018, 12:00:33 PM »
I think it would help if Microsoft Update required users to make a conscious decision whether to make a backup (or not) before starting any major update like this.

This would give users an opportunity to research whether there are any known problems, and if necessary disable some software to prevent possible conflicts.

The current system of starting an upgrade just on the basis that the user isn't busy, means that their backups won't be as up to date as possible.

It would also be useful to know if upgrades can take place without an internet connection, if malware protection has to be disabled.

REDACTED

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2018, 01:08:08 PM »
I have suffered a catastrophic failure as a result of this issue, the blue screen of death. I am very disappointed with Avast as I am a paying customer and have had no support whatsoever, no acknowledgement of the problem, no apology whatsoever.
I called out an IT technician after 4 days of downtime, and following the Avast Support approved blog, he reinstalled Windows 10 from a flash drive, undertaking an installation recommended by Avast to retain existing applications. This procedure did retain all applications except Microsoft Office 365, which I eventually reinstalled. However it has wiped all data, photos music etc. Nothing to be found in windows.old and so far having analysed all files on the laptop, no sign of missing data.
I will be cancelling my subscription to Avast.
I am a personal user but for those of you who are Avast business users my heart goes out to you, if you have lost all your data.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2018, 04:43:31 PM »
I have suffered a catastrophic failure as a result of this issue, the blue screen of death. I am very disappointed with Avast as I am a paying customer and have had no support whatsoever, no acknowledgement of the problem, no apology whatsoever.
I called out an IT technician after 4 days of downtime, and following the Avast Support approved blog, he reinstalled Windows 10 from a flash drive, undertaking an installation recommended by Avast to retain existing applications. This procedure did retain all applications except Microsoft Office 365, which I eventually reinstalled. However it has wiped all data, photos music etc. Nothing to be found in windows.old and so far having analysed all files on the laptop, no sign of missing data.
I will be cancelling my subscription to Avast.
I am a personal user but for those of you who are Avast business users my heart goes out to you, if you have lost all your data.

User data never gets wiped unless you say so. If your "technician" deleted it, have a beef with him, not avast! (regardless of what caused the problem).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2018, 09:49:13 PM »
I downloaded the Windows 1803 update on Wed May 23 and ended up with the blue screen.  I have seen the fix devised by Avast and Microsoft and I thought it looked ok but then at the password screen there was no facility to put in my pin number only a password which I don't have. When I  pressed "I forgot my password" I got "Windows cannot  connect to the ProfSvc service. Please consult your system administer", which I don't have. Pressing OK put me back to the blue screen that I started with! Will there be an updated fix to allow a pin number to be used? 

Offline Happychappy

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2018, 12:28:05 AM »
People only have themselves to blame if they don't do a weekly backup and blame Microsoft and avast when they have bsod and lost all all data,as everybody knows you should have at least 2 backups on hard-drives.

after all its free in widows 10 and works great...

Both my laptops have had problems,first had constant bsod and had to restore,then tried again a month later and went through fine.

second laptop crashed and had to restore and downloaded the ISO file to flash drive,disconnected from the network and disabled avast and that went through fine as well.

I know you shouldn't have these problems from Avast or MS...

But always create a system image before upgrading and do one every week.  :)

This has saved 2 laptops from major problems.

REDACTED

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2018, 04:50:51 AM »
Looking for some help on this problem.  My laptop is a victim of the windows 10 update/Avast software problem.  I got the blue screen asking to select my language, etc., but nothing happened.  Now my screen shows only the recycle icon in the corner.  I've followed the suggestions to download Windows on a flash drive.  I've plugged the flash drive into a USB port on my laptop, but nothing is happening.  How do I get it to re-install Windows?  I've been at this all day and really can't find a solution.  Help!

REDACTED

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2018, 06:18:19 AM »
Windows 10 did an update ( normally it asks, but not this time), and I came home basically to a blue brick.  Same as others posting,  keyboard layout then next page gives various options that are useless .  I have tried everyone to no avail, the furthest I have made it to was an older version, but it will not accept my password.  Nothing I do works.  I also made Create Windows 10 installation media USB, but that does not work.  Tried getting into the command prompt reads not enough memory resouses and x:\windows\system32.  Bios, does not give me options that I have seen online from microsoft ect.  I would like if somone could go step by step for things for me to try, and do them one at a time.  Not a computer expert, but I have always been able to resolve my problems in the 17 years being a computer user.  HELP thanks :)

Offline Luukjr

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2018, 08:53:21 AM »
Looking for some help on this problem.  My laptop is a victim of the windows 10 update/Avast software problem.  I got the blue screen asking to select my language, etc., but nothing happened.  Now my screen shows only the recycle icon in the corner.  I've followed the suggestions to download Windows on a flash drive.  I've plugged the flash drive into a USB port on my laptop, but nothing is happening.  How do I get it to re-install Windows?  I've been at this all day and really can't find a solution.  Help!

See what happens if you download the removal software  https://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe on a USB, delete Avast and  the next step would be a re-install of Windows from your flash drive.

Soft: Avast Premium Security  / Avast Cleanup / Malwarebytes Premium

REDACTED

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2018, 01:21:29 PM »
I have a question that hopefully someone can help me with.

The 1803 update is downloaded to my computer and I have postponed the install for about week, but any restart will install it. That said, I have uninstalled Avast entirely and backed up my important data. My question is, do you think it will be safe for me let the updates install now or should I wait? Also, since the folks at Avast said they have a fix, should I reinstall Avast so that is it all up to date and then disable the shields temporarily?

I'm really lost on what to do, and I'm so incredibly worried.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:24:33 PM by Corky_Romano »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2018, 01:25:35 PM »
May 24, 2018  >>  Microsoft is blocking Windows 10 version 1803 on PCs with Avast Antivirus
https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/05/24/microsoft-is-blocking-windows-10-version-1803-on-pcs-with-avast-antivirus/

You can uninstall the Avast antivirus solution before the upgrade and reinstall the app after upgrading to Windows 10 version 1803. You can always delay the deployment of Windows 10 April 2018 Update.