Author Topic: Avast! and ZoneAlarm?  (Read 2487 times)

MrWang

Avast! and ZoneAlarm?
« on: June 28, 2006, 05:50:23 AM »
Aparently Avast! and ZoneAlarm don't like each other... When I was running both I would get the blue screen of death saying "to protect your computer we are shutting down..." and said it may be due to new software or a new device driver. Well, I have no new devices and I uninstalled everything I put on recently including all anti-vrus/spyware/trojan scanners. I re-install everything one at a time to see which one causes it and it's zonealarm... Right now I'm running Avast! and SpyBot but I need a firewall other than "windows firewall" that's not going to fight with Avast! or SpyBot. Any recomendations? ???

mauserme

Re: Avast! and ZoneAlarm?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 06:23:14 AM »
There is a compatability issued between the avast! webshield and Zone Alarm privacy control.  If you use only the free version of ZA (which does not have the privacy guard) or turn privacy guard off if using the Pro version, you should avoid this trouble.  Many users, myself included, use this combination quite successfully.

Short of this, Kerio and Comodo are recommended by many forum members.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 06:40:14 AM »
Hi MrWang
Avast and ZA do have some minor compatability issues however I have been running both sucessfully for a long time now.
As an alternative to ZA I suggest Comodo Personal Firewall
ComodoFree Products

When Updating or Reinstalling ZA to save a few problems you may like to follow these steps as
Suggested by ZA

1.All version but the Free Version backup your settings in ZA using the backup button. This creates a XML file saving your current settings  remember file location,  may be needed  later.

2.Go into the start menu and the Zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties.
add /clean "C:\ProgramFiles\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply/OK.

3. Open ZA Program and turn off the load on boot option, reboot and then run the uninstaller "C:\ProgramFiles\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean

4. Delete the contents of your Temp Folder. Win XP  location  C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Temp

6. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete contents. Usually something like C:\windows\internet logs.

7. Empty your recycle bin. ZA should be gone. Reboot

8. Run ZA  installer

9.Restore settings if using payed version.

10. Free Version shutdown ZoneAlarm  right click on the ZA Icon in the system tray / shutdown.

11.Reboot
Hope this helps
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Spiritsongs

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 05:27:04 PM »
 :)  Hi Mr Wang :

Some of us prefer the "old reliable" Sygate Personal
      Firewall, bought out by Symantec, then abandoned, but
      still available at :

http://www.filehippo.com/download_sygate_personal_firewall/

There is a "Sygate Setup Guide" at :

www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html .

Have never experience any "conflict" of it with Avast .
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:23:08 AM by Spiritsongs »