Author Topic: Automatic blocking of trackers & Settings bugged  (Read 11987 times)

REDACTED

Automatic blocking of trackers & Settings bugged
« on: May 26, 2018, 04:48:52 AM »
Dear devs,

I am very unhappy with the "Automatic blocking of trackers" feature in the latest version of Avast Free Antivirus, for it no longer works properly. :-\

The setting does not save upon closing Firefox (v60.0.1), even when you have FF set to not delete any cookies - which makes sense, since this setting does not add any cookies to FF. ???

The advanced settings ("More settings") often get reset as well, and I have no clue what is causing it. :-[

So, what is up with that? Why does this keep happening, when in the past this feature used to work properly?

Please help!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Automatic blocking of trackers & Settings bugged
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 05:38:45 AM »
Hi, are you running the latest version (18.3.24) of AOS for FF..!?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
Since I am running the latest version of Avast Free Antivirus, I do assume that it is automatically running the latest version of Avast Online Security as well, no?

For some reason, it now miraculously works, by the way. What I did was visit the official Avast website, so that its cookies were added to FF, then put those on the list of cookies to keep under any circumstances, and now it saves my settings.

This was never necessary to do before, for AOS always worked, so I suggest the Avast team to find a better solution for the problem. Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 09:32:39 AM »
Hi, the latest version doesn't need/use any cookies.

Remove AOS from FF and download/install the new version.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/avast-online-security/
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 11:20:22 AM »
Hi, the latest version doesn't need/use any cookies... so...
How are the settings saved then???

I have the latest version, and the settings to block everything are ALWAYS LOST!!!
Every time I close Firefox and re-open it, the settings are lost and I always have to reset them manual for each session!
That is not normal, so what should I (and others) do to fix this?

This is a real bug, and Avast should solve this good... once and forever!
It seems it resets always to defaults!
So make the defaults to block everything then for maximum safety and speed.

When the kids are using their (and my) PC they forget to do this  >:(
This should not have to be a manual intervention by the user for each session, but settings should be a one-time set-and-save!
Otherwise they have no use at all!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 11:39:38 AM »
1. Hi, the latest version doesn't need/use any cookies... so... How are the settings saved then???
2. I have the latest version, and the settings to block everything are ALWAYS LOST!!!
1. That's something for the devs to answer, but other Add-ons don't need cookies either.
2. Well, it works for me and everything (including cookies) gets deleted on FF shutdown here.