Author Topic: Avast ending support for XP  (Read 14736 times)

Offline aharris2

Avast ending support for XP
« on: May 28, 2018, 04:23:21 PM »
On this forum:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=219275.0

it was announced that Avast would not long support XP, announcement to be made at the end of June.

Give the apparently large numbers of Avast users who run XP, this seems inadvisable. As I posted elsewhere, XP and Win7 do have have the ongoing problematic behaviors that seen endemic to later Windows versions, new ones with every new version. Of course there are vulnerability issues - I run XP as a virtual machine on my Mac, but still need antivirus because of shared folders. In any case, this move will lose loyal Avast users. Seems like it might be worth it to fix the problem with 18.4 that affects many XP installations (failure of UI to load).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast ending support for XP
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 05:58:00 PM »
This was mentioned in the forums some considerable time ago, this recent post only confirms this.  But a firm date hasn't yet been decided and or given.  However, isn't likely too far in the future.

I have many programs in daily use that are aside from no longer being developed are highly unlikely to run on win10.

As for the problem you mention about "18.4 that affects many XP installations (failure of UI to load)" I haven't experienced that problem on my XP or Win10 systems.  I have retained an older version of avast on my win7 netbook, Under Powered (Intel Atom N255 1.5GHz dual core CPU), damn small screen (and resolution) and only 2GB of ram.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline tlee

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
The big question is Avast cut the all download links of old versions of program.
User, even their customers, cannot find any official way to download their previous version of program from Avast Website.
Moreover, Avast does not realize that are making a bulky and buggy antivirus software these several yrs.
There are caused big big trouble to their users and customers.....................  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 06:39:03 PM »
Avast hasn't really made old versions available and this is the way it has been for over 14 years of using avast free.  There is no development on old versions, any bugs/issues remain frozen in time with that old version.

Which is why it is wise to download the off-line installation file, should it be necessary you have a fall back position of the last version that worked for you and your OS, etc.  Otherwise you are left with the various download sites and even then, some of those are using much smaller the stub installation file (in the order of 6mb) and that downloads the latest version.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline aharris2

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 07:11:55 PM »
I posted this on an earlier thread. Basically, how to install an "old" version of the program. So-called offline installation is not really offline.

this link:
http://public.avast.com/supp/old_versions/18_3/avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe

works fine, except that installation does use a web connection, and then automatically updates to the latest and problematic 18.4

Here is a "hack" to get around it and end up with a functional version of 18.3:

One must start the installer without a web connection, wait until it stalls, then activate a web connection, wait until its CPU usage drops, then disconnect the web connection and let the installer complete. That results in a functional 18.3 installation, which does not have the UI problem. Then go into settings and adjust so that updates are not automatically installed, then activate the web connection again.  Then manually update to the latest virus definitions.

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 09:37:25 PM »
It had to happen sometime. Avast 18.4.2338 is an excellent version to rely on over the next few years. I certainly would not worry. Avast has been outstanding in its continuation of the flow of virus database updates, etc., for older Avast versions for many years.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 10:10:11 AM »
Give the apparently large numbers of Avast users who run XP...
Less than 4% and many (if not most) of them run cracked versions of XP.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline bruce_b

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 02:05:38 PM »
A lot of us still use XP .. I use XP PRO SP3 on my old Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz 2GB RAM machine. It is a fully legit version of XP that is installed. As to Avast discontinuing support of XP, I use only the basics from Avast Free (File Shield, Web Shield, Behavior Shield) .. It has the latest stable release on it and is working fine. I would like to know how long we will still be able to auto update virus definitions after support for XP ends. Will the entire Avast Free stop installing on XP or only certain components of it, that a lot of us do not use ? ? ? What about AVG ? ? ? Will that work on XP ? ? ? Or does anyone have a good replacement that does not hog or slow down the computer if it is needed ? ? ?
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 04:04:09 PM »
Or does anyone have a good replacement that does not hog or slow down the computer if it is needed
I think Panda free still supports XP, and there is also ClamWin, this will also run on W98   ;)
With ClamWin you need to install a additional program Clam Sentinel for realtime protection

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 06:29:17 PM »
I have had no big problems running Avast so far on XP SP3 on one of my machines. It wil be a shame but lack of AV on XP may trigger a switch to some form of Linux as the hardware is still serviceable.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 10:36:12 PM »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 04:24:57 AM »
So, does this mean AVG is also going to end support for XP?
Or does AVG even support XP now?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 06:21:57 AM »
A lot of us still use XP .. I use XP PRO SP3 on my old Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz 2GB RAM machine. It is a fully legit version of XP that is installed. As to Avast discontinuing support of XP, I use only the basics from Avast Free (File Shield, Web Shield, Behavior Shield) .. It has the latest stable release on it and is working fine. I would like to know how long we will still be able to auto update virus definitions after support for XP ends. Will the entire Avast Free stop installing on XP or only certain components of it, that a lot of us do not use ? ? ? What about AVG ? ? ? Will that work on XP ? ? ? Or does anyone have a good replacement that does not hog or slow down the computer if it is needed ? ? ?
We will know more after the official announcement (end of June).
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 12:15:01 PM »
I still use legit / genuine XP SP3.......Microsoft are still activating this over the telephone. Might interest you to know that Microsoft opened up their servers for XP in May 2017 during the WannaCry ransomware attack - I received all XP updates after previously having none, apart from the patch they released as an exception for this....

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 04:35:01 PM »
Some selected older Free versions.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hbhQJjhL8tt9jC2Dx9YNr5sjMOMoN7TD?usp=sharing

Bob,
Not quite sure why you have pointed to older Avast versions when the latest version works fine (for most people) on WinXP. I have never had any big issues doing the Avast free version update from the UI. Just the occasional gremin solved after a couple of re-boots.