Author Topic: Safe Browser installed without my permission  (Read 4797 times)

REDACTED

Safe Browser installed without my permission
« on: May 30, 2018, 05:04:36 AM »
Hello all

Tonight my computer had a brand new icon on the desktop, one I did not recall asking for. It was something called Safe Browser (can't recall exactly as I immediately uninstalled the unwanted visitor). I've read through the various postings from a couple of months ago, especially the one that was closed by Vlk (his post below). Up until today I was unaware of this issue. I've used and trusted Avast for over ten years so had no reason to suspect anything malicious from them. That trust ended today.

Thanks for all the feedback, everybody.

Just to give you some info on what we are doing regarding this:

- We actually stopped pushing SafeZone to Free AV users shortly after this thread was started, to take the time to better understand all the feedback and possibly adjust the strategy
- While we're disappointed that the reaction to the inclusion of this premium feature in the Free AV has generally been rather negative (at least based on the feedback here and other sites), we have made the decision to stop pushing it for the time being
- SafeZone is still part of new Free AV installs though (and of course, as always, can be configured in the Custom installation) -- so in that regard, the free and premium versions of Avast now behave the same
- We are working on a better way to re-introduce the feature to our free user base (and some of the suggestions in this thread have been really useful for that, thanks). We will keep you posted.

With that, I think the topic has been pretty much exhausted and I am going to go ahead to lock this thread.

Thank you,
Vlk

Turns out you fine fellows decided it was ok to install a program on my computer without permission after all eh? Here's my response. No, absolutely not. Never. Avast came off of the five systems in our house tonight. This weekend it will be off the extended family's systems I maintain.

You fellows need to fire those pesky MBA's you have making these decisions, or at the very least send them back to the mail room where they belong. They ain't doing you no favours.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

Re: Safe Browser installed without my permission
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 07:24:23 PM »
I too am not pleased with the Safe Browser.  Not only are my favorite features no longer available (e.g., moving from one page to another using the now deleted icon in the upper left hand corner), but I now get ads, LOTS OF ADS.  Where is the ad blocker function that I enjoyed so much?  And, yes, I did go to Security & Privacy and Settings to block ads already.

Is there a way to reload the former browser?  I much prefer it to this mess, the "safe" browser.

Offline gpaduska

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 11:16:56 PM »
AFTER FORCED AND INTRUSIVE UPDATING FIND NO MORE ALL MY BOOKMARKS.... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(   ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION?????

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline JohnCali

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 08:01:04 PM »
Not a big fan of installers running without my permission, especially when the stupid program takes over my file associations automatically (after informing me it had installed itself). Who pushed this idiotic update in this way? One more situation like this and I'll be searching for a new anti-virus - sheesh!

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 07:25:49 PM »
The browser was installed in an automatic update to my already installed Free AV a few days ago. I was never given the option to exclude the browser in the installation as it was done during an update! This is the behaviour of malware so Avast should know better!!

I would not have minded but the browser had automatically set itself to run at system startup, something I never have any of my browsers do, and worst of all it set itself as the default browser today! It's bad enough to install the browser behind my back but to then hijack my system settings without my permission to have the browser starting at system boot and being the default browser is just unforgivable.

It's not good enough to say that the browser's installation can be configured in the custom installation of Free AV when there is no such customisation when Free AV is updating itself. I would expect this type of behaviour from malware software, not from an antivirus tool!

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 04:16:41 PM »
You're kidding me? Is this indeed Avast's official response?

" While we're disappointed that the reaction to the inclusion of this premium feature in the Free AV has generally been rather negative"

So they're saying they don't understand why users find it negative when something is installed WITHOUT PERMISSION??? Avast really thinks users should be happy if something is installed on their computer without their consent? Avast, I'm SHOCKED. I'm glad I made the decision to completely uninstall anything that has the name "Avast" on it.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 04:54:55 PM »
I might be in the minority but I like the new browser.  It's not my default browser but I use it every day.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 10:23:35 AM »
I might be in the minority but I like the new browser.  It's not my default browser but I use it every day.
+1 :)

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 05:49:57 AM »
How I now hate Avast let me count the ways.
1. It has taken a fine antivirus program and turned it into a malware infested spam parasite.
2. It took over my previous browser so that ANY sites I try to go to are blocked because they are not secure  like oh I don't know maybe the US government. VA.gov Where I have to order my medication.
You won't let me in.
4. You lost my Bookmarks.
5. You lost my passwords
6. You have so many instances of your browsers and google running my that computer locks up. AND I have 12 gig of memory.
7. LAST BUT NOT LEAST YOU FAILED TO FIND A VIRUS THAT ATTACKED MY PASSWORD KEEPER. SO WHAT THE HELL GOOD ARE YOU.
 I have installed and recommended this company for over 10 years to all my clients friends and family. I am embarrassed that I ever knew you. What have you become? Who did you sell out too? To not only invade our privacy and install your crap without permission then make it run on startup without permission and  make changes to the existing programs and files is bordering on criminal. If I had lost anything of monetary value other than my time I would sue you and own your company then I would burn it to the ground. I sincerely hope hope many many others join me in uninstalling your bloat ware hijack ware malware. Then spread the word what a bunch of crooks you have become.