Author Topic: Avast Support  (Read 21571 times)

Walker

Avast Support
« on: January 04, 2004, 12:25:02 AM »
Hi Pavel,

Curiousity with me as usual  ;) . I've read the following on the Alwil home page:-

Technical Support

If you have any technical problem with our products, you can either contact our technical support. Our avast! support team is here to assist you resolve any problem with our products.]

Before you contact avast! support team, you should first read our FAQ (frequently asked questions) and visit ALWIL Software Forums. Many problems were resolved before and you can find the solutions there.

The most effective way how to contact our technical support is via e-mail message. The address is support@asw.cz. Use the English language only, please.

What do users do if all of the above fails ?.

Thanks,
W.

Pavel Baudis

Re:Avast Support
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 09:52:52 AM »
What do users do if all of the above fails ?.

What do you mean by fails  :D ? That he does not receive the answer here and not from support by email?

We (and many of you here as well) are trying to do our best to avoid such situation. If it does happen, I would recommend to reformulate the question to get more attraction!

Pavel

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 03:10:19 PM »
The home page suggestion is.. FAQ -> Forum -> E-mail. You seem to be saying that the next and final step is back '<-' to the forum.

Not necessarily, although this is definitely one of the options - you can rewrote the support email question as well - it is usually checked very carefully and I believe that most emails are really answered. you can also send PM to some stuff people if you need your answer really hard :) !

Pavel

Walker

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 03:26:29 PM »
The home page suggestion is.. FAQ -> Forum -> E-mail. You seem to be saying that the next and final step is back '<-' to the forum.

Not necessarily, although this is definitely one of the options - you can rewrote the support email question as well - it is usually checked very carefully and I believe that most emails are really answered. you can also send PM to some stuff people if you need your answer really hard :) !

Pavel

Pavel,

Thanks again.

I'm not sure that you fully understand my comments.

I did not post this topic on a whim. I (and others) have already gone through 'the system' many times (as the original thread indicates) and have already tried your suggestions. It isn't working  :-\

Walker.

CoJo

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 05:02:33 PM »
Then, I have been very lucky indeed! Any problems that I have encountered--whether I messed up, didn't understand, or was actually a software problem--has been resolved...
sometimes it took a few attempts before success, but all of these things were corrected.
and I received an email response fairly quickly when I contacted support with a log report.

Avast!, it's whole team, and the members of the Avast! community are tops in my book!

cojo

Walker

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 05:41:46 PM »

Pavel,

?? ?? ??

Walker

techie101

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 11:49:03 PM »
Walker,

I agree with your statements 100%.  I know Pavel is not being committed to a clear answer, but the fact remains that in general, my emails to support HAVE NOT BEEN ANSWERED!  
Luckily, I have found help and comradship here on the forum with people like you, and have become a self-taught Avast problem solver.

Cojo wrote that she has received answers to her email.  She was truthful but one of the lucky ones.

I have nothing but praise for the Avast Team, but something is lacking in the email support.  I do not expect an answer the same day, but days, weeks and months have gone by without an answer to emails I have sent.

I have even tried IMs to Moderators here on the forum to no avail.

No matter how you slice it, I get the feeling that we are pretty much on our own here.

What really gets me, is that I am a PRO user (a paying customer)!

I do not wish the Avast Team to take offense at all this, but this matter has struck at the very heart of the support issue which has been brought up here by others in the past with no solution!!

There are times when to our best efforts, we cannot find a solution.  All I am asking is for someone on the Avast team to say "OK, we are looking into it", or "We are making a change to Avast next update", or "We are issuing crayons and a coloring book".....something more positive than nothing.

PS:  The free trip to Disney ought to do it.  ;D
techie
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 11:55:52 PM by techie101 »

Walker

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 01:11:45 AM »
Techie,

Thanks for confirming my opinions. The BIG issue is that all of this is such a shame (I considered whether or not to put the 'e' on the end of that word!).

Avast is a good product and the Alwil guys are a nice bunch of individuals, from my experience. But a problem or question that, for whatever reason, they don't like and they appear to head for the hills or stick their heads in the sand!. Having spent many years in service and support industries, I would have cringed at this in my company.

You mention that Pavel 'hasn't committed to an answer'. I have to admit, I'm gobsmacked. This is just like the original thread.. left in limbo, now without even a clear answer to what to expect from support when it doesn't work!.

I am pleased for Cojo and respect her perception. However, I once left the forum because she initially could not get answers from the A team. She might not remember or even realise, but I too IM'ed them asking them to join in with her first problem. I got pretty much the same response as you describe. It was only because of a few nice people asking (you being one) that I returned to the forum.

Yes you are correct, a lot of the time we are 'on our own' on the forum. I think with fairness we can say that many a problem get's resolved by user's. This makes matters worst in a way, because you can perceive this as the user's doing their bit to help, but do not get the reciprocation when needed. Like you, I too am a PRO user (as you say.. paying customer) and I don't regret this and also like you, I hope the A team can see the points as constructive without taking offence and throwing their teddy's in the corner.

I also agree with you. A 'we are doing this', 'working on that' etc., would be great. The word 'ignore' (what appears to be happening) is not far removed from the word 'ignorance', which isn't the way I was taught or brought up.

Pavel (if you are reading this)

I say the above 'respectfully'. I guess the best thing to do is to forget all about the 'What happens if' thread, I'll muddle through with the problem as it is. I also think the 'support' issue and what can be expected has been clarified.

Techie (again).. perhaps WE should go to Disney Land, we seem to be on a different planet already  ;) . Thank you for all your help.

Walker.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 01:54:07 AM by Walker »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 01:28:05 AM »
Hmm,  :-[ I'm not sure what exactly are you talking about but if it's the 'What happens if...' thread there's not much more that I can say than in my last post in that thread -- probably the only person who can do something with it is vojtech who's  a) currently busy with other stuff, and  b) has been on a vacation for the last 14 days.
So the bottom line is -- thanks for the input, but this is not an easy one to solve so it's gonna take some time...

About our e-mail support... I'll have to find out more on this...

Thanks for the heads up :-\,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Walker

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 01:34:20 AM »
Vlk,

This started as a general question, moved onto the What happens thread (you will see if you read this thread the reference in the third msg).

We always accept you guys getting/being busy. But have a look at how long the 'what happens' thread has been going on prior to anyones holiday!.

I am sorry to say this, but you do already know about the e-mail support situation. It must be a month or more ago that you inadvertantly sent me someone else's message and followed up by saying my question would be next on your list!.

Walker.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 01:48:16 AM »
What can I say? :(

Sorry but the truth is that I cannot be of much help in the avast vs. Pegasus issue anymore. Neither can techie, Technical, Pavel or anyone else but vojtech (with your help).  It's probably a bug in the program (something that could be more or less concluded after reading the first two pages of that thread, not the whole 10-page story) and as such can only be resolved by the appropriate developer (vojtech in this case). I realize it's taking a long time already (well about 5 weeks now) but I'm sure vojtech's on it... Well some problems are more difficult and time consuming to crack than other...  :-\

We greatly appreciate user feedback - that's what this forum is all about. Thanks to the forum, avast got much better during the last 10 months (yes, it's only 10 months ago that we started this forum). So please don't be so pissed off that this particular case is taking so long... ;)

Good night,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Walker

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2004, 01:55:29 AM »
Vlk,

Forget all about it, I'm not pissed off just bemused.

Good night to you.

Walker

techie101

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 06:35:45 AM »
Certainly more than you have to date.  ;)

It's probably a bug in the program (something that could be more or less concluded after reading the first two pages of that thread, not the whole 10-page story)
It is a bug in the program.  Walker and I have already established that fact, and the 10 pages only gave supporting evidence.  We tried every conceavable solution within our power and thus the lenghty threads.

but I'm sure vojtech's on it... [/quote
This remains to be seen!  8)

We greatly appreciate user feedback - that's what this forum is all about.
Exactly, and that is why we are now taking such a harsh stand.  WE WANT THE FORUM AND AVAST TO SUCCEED!

So please don't be so pissed off that this particular case is taking so long... ;)
VLK...as Walker said, we are not pissed off.  That would be childish and we are far from that.
As Walker also stated...."we are just bemused"
I love that word...Wish I knew what it meant.  ;D

Good night,
techie

Walker

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004, 10:43:56 PM »
Techie, et all,

Moan when a moan deserved, applaud when an applaud is deserved.

I hope Vojtech doesn't mind me saying what he has done, but I assume, as per Vlk, that this is his first day back from holiday and I have had an e-mail with a little application he has created to do (crikey I don't know what yet!  ;) ).

I will download it soon and let him know the outcome (and if you don't mind Vojtech ? the guy's that have shown such an interest and worked hard in the other thread).

Thank you Vojtech

Walker.

techie101

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 12:36:09 AM »
VLK,

Certainly more than you have to date.  ;)

It's probably a bug in the program (something that could be more or less concluded after reading the first two pages of that thread, not the whole 10-page story
It is a bug in the program.  Walker and I have already established that fact, and the 10 pages only gave supporting evidence.  We tried every conceavable solution within our power and thus the lenghty threads.

but I'm sure vojtech's on it...
This remains to be seen!  8)

We greatly appreciate user feedback - that's what this forum is all about.
Exactly, and that is why we are now taking such a harsh stand.  WE WANT THE FORUM AND AVAST TO SUCCEED!

So please don't be so pissed off that this particular case is taking so long... ;)
VLK...as Walker said, we are not pissed off.  That would be childish and we are far from that.
As Walker also stated...."we are just bemused"
I love that word...Wish I knew what it meant.  ;D

Good night,
techie

EDITED 01/05/04 (It didn't look pretty  ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 12:37:27 AM by techie101 »