Author Topic: Why did Avast fail Virus Bulletin June 2006  (Read 6886 times)

JEfromCanada

Why did Avast fail Virus Bulletin June 2006
« on: June 29, 2006, 05:20:32 PM »
Can someone from Alwil tell me why Virus Bulletin did not give a VB100% award to avast in its June 2006 test of avast for Windows XP.

I have confidence in this product, but my reputation is on the line for recommending it to several of my friends.  Thanks for your response.

Jack

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Why did Avast fail Virus Bulletin June 2006
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 05:23:53 PM »
Can someone from Alwil tell me why Virus Bulletin did not give a VB100% award to avast in its June 2006 test of avast for Windows XP.

Actually, that's not [going to be] correct ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »
I look at real life experiences and not just tests which as far as I'm aware only test the on-demand scan. As a happy avast users for over two years, I have confidence in avast, however no single program is going to provide full protection, so the use of multi-level compatible security programs will beef up your overall protection.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it.
1. Ad-Aware
2. Spybot Search and Destroy
3. Spywareblaster Don't install this until you are clean.
4. Ewido Security Suite If using winXP. or a-Squared free if using win98/ME.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 07:08:26 PM »
Avast will get the VB100% mark for the June 06 XP test, together with an apology, in the July 2006 issue (due in a couple of days).

During the test, avast was blamed for having three false positives; however, it turned out that these were in fact not false... ;)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 07:09:23 PM »
Rofl ;D
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

JEfromCanada

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 07:31:49 PM »
Avast will get the VB100% mark for the June 06 XP test, together with an apology, in the July 2006 issue (due in a couple of days).

During the test, avast was blamed for having three false positives; however, it turned out that these were in fact not false... ;)
Thanks, that makes me feel better.

Does that mean that all other products that did NOT report those "false positives" as actual positives will be downgraded to a failure?   ;)

JEfromCanada

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 07:34:40 PM »
[snip] however no single program is going to provide full protection, so the use of multi-level compatible security programs will beef up your overall protection [snip]

I agree, and I urge a multi-level approach to security - I just wanted to ensure that my current recommendation for virus protection was still valid.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 08:34:27 PM »
Does that mean that all other products that did NOT report those "false positives" as actual positives will be downgraded to a failure?

No, because they're not "ItW" samples (VB100% pass or failure is only given by the ability to detect ItW viruses)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 09:36:32 PM »

LOL!  :o That's great!  ;D

JerryM

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 11:14:25 PM »
Vlk,
That is good to know. I admit that I was surprised to see that Avast had not passed.

I wonder why they thought the three were FP? It seems to me that does not speak well for the tests.

Jerry

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 10:49:08 AM »
Well, let's put it this way: the files were very questionable. They were not really malicious, but it was not clear whether they should be detected or not. Such files should not be in a cleanset for an official test.

JerryM

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 10:45:42 PM »
Well, let's put it this way: the files were very questionable. They were not really malicious, but it was not clear whether they should be detected or not. Such files should not be in a cleanset for an official test.

I agree, and that again, causes me to wonder as to the expertise of the testers. It is a sad fact that bad news travels fast, and an erroneous report is sometimes remembered while the correct version either not noticed or forgotten.

Best,
Jerry

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 12:03:48 AM »
It has happened a couple of times in the past, too.
Last time, it was Kasperky (if I remember correctly), about a year ago.

Once, it even happened to Avast (I think that was in 2001).

The problem is that the VB cleanset is not maintained too well - and sometimes, some questionable files slip in. This time, the files that avast was detecting were tools for adding the current user to the admin group, with the aid of a security hole in a Windows component. These were not false positives from avast - avast was detecting them intentionally (they were part of our database of samples). Strange that no other AV actually reported them as malicious... :)

JerryM

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 12:17:36 AM »
Thanks for the additional information. Avast is too good an AV to suffer from such errors. However, I do not think a lot of folks are even aware of the test, and those of us who are can understand the problem, and that it is not an Avast shortcoming.

Best,
Jerry

Offline chocholo

• Poster
  • BSC, GSC, MCP
    • Avast
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 03:36:09 PM by chocholo »