Author Topic: Kaspersky KAS6.0 vs AvastPro  (Read 2902 times)

ReneK

Kaspersky KAS6.0 vs AvastPro
« on: June 30, 2006, 10:43:38 AM »
Hello everyone,
Although I am new to this forum, I do pass by these pages on a daily basis.

Being a software programmer, I have recently conducted tests on Kaspersky and AvastPro which also include actually running the 2 on identical PC's.

Specs: PentiumD 3.00Ghz, 2GB RAM, 320GB SATA HDD (RAID 0), NVIDIA 256MB

They are both run on clean installs (XP PRO SP2 fully patched) and with Spysweeper 4.5 in recommended setting.

Here is the conclusion: Kaspersky (as we all now) does offer slightly better protection, but it comes at a terrible prize:

1. Unacceptable amount of STOP ERRORS both running and during BOOT (2-5 per day)
KAS6.0 performing better than KIS6.0 in that regard
2. Update problems (server overloads)
3. Hotfixes (should probably still be in BETA)
4. Slow and painfull wait for scans
5. General computer instability and freeze-ups
6. Extreme prizing

My advise folks, GO WITH AVAST!!
This AV works flawlessly and with such ease on CPU ressources!!
Don't even be tempted to try out Kaspersky, - it will be the beginning of a painful encounter ultimately ending in an uninstall ... mark my words  ;)

Thanks for your time,
ReneK

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Kaspersky KAS6.0 vs AvastPro
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 01:46:32 PM »
Kaspersky (as we all now) does offer slightly better protection
Why? Let's talk about this  8)
The best things in life are free.

ReneK

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 04:21:22 PM »
Kaspersky (as we all now) does offer slightly better protection
Why? Let's talk about this  8)

Sorry, my mistake Tech!
This was badly put.
The statement is supposed to be ironical. When one reads the reviews on different forums, general public and review centers always seem to favour Kaspersky over any other AV. This might be the case (I am not an expert on vira) but the truth of the matter is that Kaspersky it too buggy, too unstable, too expensive and too resource consuming!!! ... And this is KAS running on a clean install!!!
Hell, it is easy enough to make the perfect AV, just have it block all service ports  ;D (if you know what I mean)

Anyway, as I mentioned in my other post - KAS=TROUBLE.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 08:02:15 PM »
Sorry, my mistake Tech! This was badly put. The statement is supposed to be ironical.
;D
 My statement is supposed to be serious  ;D

When one reads the reviews on different forums, general public and review centers always seem to favour Kaspersky over any other AV. This might be the case (I am not an expert on vira) but the truth of the matter is that Kaspersky it too buggy, too unstable, too expensive and too resource consuming!!! ... And this is KAS running on a clean install!!!
You're right... generally, KAV has very good press.
What about NOD32?
Have you tryed it?
The best things in life are free.

JerryM

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 10:34:38 PM »
Hi ReneK,

My own experience with KAV6 is very different from yours. I have not used Avast Pro so will not attempt to compare, although there is not quarrel as to the detection rates.

I have used KAV6 since before it came out of Beta. It runs well on my system without conflicts, uses fewer resources than any other AV I have tried, scans in less time - 2 minutes to 16 minutes for a complete system scan, and in general I like it better than anything I have used including Bit Defender, NOD32, Avast Home, and AVG.

I am not wedded to any software, but use what suits my purpose and system better.
If anyone is looking for an AV, they should trial KAV6, NOD32, and a few others including Avast. But your experience is not normal, and your assessment is inaccurate as a general statement.

Regards,
Jerry